Westminster lacrosse: Colorado State defeats Griffins at Dumke Field
SALT LAKE CITY — The 15th-ranked Westminster College women’s lacrosse team dropped a second-consecutive home game after a 21-8 loss to No. 1 Colorado State on Friday evening at Dumke Field.
Westminster (7-4, 1-2 RMWLL) fell behind early as Colorado State (13-0, 1-0) scored the game’s first six goals. Maggie HerrNeckar scored the Griffins first goal at the 20:16 mark of the opening half as she finished a shot from an assist by Dana Barraco. Kaice Beal and Barraco would score back-to-back goals later in the half to cut the deficit to 10-3 with 9:55 to play before halftime.
Colorado State closed the half with three straight goals to lead 13-3 at halftime and then opened the second half with another five goals to give them an 18-3 advantage with 20:42 remaining. Beal scored three second half goals, and Barraco would add two to give the Griffins eight in the contest.
The Griffins picked up 24 ground balls and were successful in 15-of-15 clear attempts. They were out-shot by the Rams 35-18 and lost 18-of-30 draw controls. Beal’s four goals led the team while Barraco finished with three goals and two assists. Chelsea Farrell added two assists and Kaely Kernan also posted one assist. Makenzie Hekking took the defeat in goal while recording six saves.
Ali Slyne scored seven goals to lead CSU. She also added one assist and seven draw controls to her totals. Karly Slyne had three goals and six assists with Maddie Garcia going for three goals and four assists.
Westminster will conclude the regular season with a trip to Martinsville, Va., for four games next weekend. The trip begins with a game against Miami (Ohio) on Friday.
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior season
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high...
- Felt's Facts, championship edition: Breaking...
- Return to Utah allows Southern Virginia...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The championship edition
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars past...
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 136
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 88
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- BYU to welcome FCS team Savannah State... 39
- Utes still have outside chance at... 28
- Brady Poppinga: From an early age I... 24
- Utah moves up to No. 20/21 after... 22
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21