Westminster lacrosse: Colorado State defeats Griffins at Dumke Field
SALT LAKE CITY — The 15th-ranked Westminster College women’s lacrosse team dropped a second-consecutive home game after a 21-8 loss to No. 1 Colorado State on Friday evening at Dumke Field.
Westminster (7-4, 1-2 RMWLL) fell behind early as Colorado State (13-0, 1-0) scored the game’s first six goals. Maggie HerrNeckar scored the Griffins first goal at the 20:16 mark of the opening half as she finished a shot from an assist by Dana Barraco. Kaice Beal and Barraco would score back-to-back goals later in the half to cut the deficit to 10-3 with 9:55 to play before halftime.
Colorado State closed the half with three straight goals to lead 13-3 at halftime and then opened the second half with another five goals to give them an 18-3 advantage with 20:42 remaining. Beal scored three second half goals, and Barraco would add two to give the Griffins eight in the contest.
The Griffins picked up 24 ground balls and were successful in 15-of-15 clear attempts. They were out-shot by the Rams 35-18 and lost 18-of-30 draw controls. Beal’s four goals led the team while Barraco finished with three goals and two assists. Chelsea Farrell added two assists and Kaely Kernan also posted one assist. Makenzie Hekking took the defeat in goal while recording six saves.
Ali Slyne scored seven goals to lead CSU. She also added one assist and seven draw controls to her totals. Karly Slyne had three goals and six assists with Maddie Garcia going for three goals and four assists.
Westminster will conclude the regular season with a trip to Martinsville, Va., for four games next weekend. The trip begins with a game against Miami (Ohio) on Friday.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 42
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7
- Morning links: Utah Utes a sleeper in... 6