Utah State men's tennis fell to Western Athletic Conference rival UTSA, 4-0, Friday. Both teams agreed to stop at four points and leave the other matches unfinished. With the loss, USU is now 5-11 on the season, including 0-2 in league play.
In singles play, junior Fredrik Peterson fell to Diogo Casa at the No. 2 spot in straight sets (6-2, 6-4), and sophomore Matt Sweet was defeated by Joel Rubio at the No. 3 spot in straight sets (6-2, 6-3). At the No. 5 spot, sophomore Curran Wearmouth was taken down by David Kelleher in straight sets (6-0, 6-1). The other three singles matches were left unfinished.
In doubles play, Sweet and senior partner Sven Poslusny fell to Martin Ayala and Diogo Casa, 8-3, at the first position. At the second doubles position, Peterson and sophomore partner Marcus Fritz were defeated by Tyler Brown and Joel Rubio, 8-4. And at the third doubles position, junior Andrew Whiting and Wearmouth were defeated by David Kelleher and Kolby Kilgo, 8-3.
The Aggies will now return to Logan to host WAC rivals Seattle on Thursday, Apr. 11 at 12 p.m., UT Arlington on Friday Apr. 12 at 12 p.m., and New Mexico State on Saturday Apr. 13 at 10 a.m. All three matches will be played at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
UTSA 4, Utah State 0
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) vs. Sven Poslusny (USU) 7-6, 3-1, unfinishedComment on this story
2. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Matt Sweet (USU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Tyler Brown (UTSA) vs. Marcus Fritz (USU) 7-6, 1-1, unfinished
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Curran Wearmouth (USU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) vs. Tanner Dance (USU) 4-6, 3-1, unfinished
1. Martin Ayala/Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Sven Poslusny/Matt Sweet (USU) 8-3
2. Tyler Brown/Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Fredrik Peterson/Marcus Fritz (USU) 8-4
3. David Kelleher/Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) def. Andrew Whiting/Curran Wearmouth (USU) 8-3
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.