Jen Pilgreen, Deseret News
PROVO — A Tooele couple is lucky to be alive after their SUV crashed near Soldier Summit on U.S. 6.
George and Ragena Simper are recovering at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo largely because of the quick efforts of three strangers. They hope to find out who these men are and to thank them for what they did.
Late Wednesday afternoon, the Simpers and their two dogs were heading out on a camping trip in Goblin Valley when they lost control of their vehicle and rolled.
“I just know all of a sudden the trailer started dancing a bit,” Ragena Simper said.
A wind gust caused the couple's trailer to fishtail.
“The choices were either over-correct and roll or go off a 200-foot cliff,” George Simper said.
The car rolled several times. Both of them were bleeding profusely, and George Simper had a severe head injury.
“I asked if he was alive,” Ragena Simper said. “He said, ‘Yes.’ And then I could smell smoke and see smoke, but I couldn't get out. I was trapped.”
What happened next the Simpers call a miracle. They said three guardian angels found them, and they had medical training.
“He put his shirt over the glass, and it took all three guys all their strength to pull us out,” she said.
One of the men used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. Another controlled the bleeding on George Simper's head.
“If they hadn’t shown up, the truck would have blown up,” he said. “There’s no way we would have survived."
In all the confusion, there was no exchange of names or contact information, but the Simpers remember one of the men said he was an Army medic from California, another was an off-duty firefighter from Price, and the third was a truck driver just passing through.
“There is no way this is a coincidence,” he said. “The odds are one in a trillion.”
The Simpers want to know who their rescuers are and tell them just how much their heroic actions mean.
“Ever since it happened, I just keep thinking, 'I wish I knew who you were so I could see you and tell you thank you and how much I really, really appreciate it.'"
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11