Jen Pilgreen, Deseret News
PROVO — A Tooele couple is lucky to be alive after their SUV crashed near Soldier Summit on U.S. 6.
George and Ragena Simper are recovering at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo largely because of the quick efforts of three strangers. They hope to find out who these men are and to thank them for what they did.
Late Wednesday afternoon, the Simpers and their two dogs were heading out on a camping trip in Goblin Valley when they lost control of their vehicle and rolled.
“I just know all of a sudden the trailer started dancing a bit,” Ragena Simper said.
A wind gust caused the couple's trailer to fishtail.
“The choices were either over-correct and roll or go off a 200-foot cliff,” George Simper said.
The car rolled several times. Both of them were bleeding profusely, and George Simper had a severe head injury.
“I asked if he was alive,” Ragena Simper said. “He said, ‘Yes.’ And then I could smell smoke and see smoke, but I couldn't get out. I was trapped.”
What happened next the Simpers call a miracle. They said three guardian angels found them, and they had medical training.
“He put his shirt over the glass, and it took all three guys all their strength to pull us out,” she said.
One of the men used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. Another controlled the bleeding on George Simper's head.
“If they hadn’t shown up, the truck would have blown up,” he said. “There’s no way we would have survived."
In all the confusion, there was no exchange of names or contact information, but the Simpers remember one of the men said he was an Army medic from California, another was an off-duty firefighter from Price, and the third was a truck driver just passing through.
“There is no way this is a coincidence,” he said. “The odds are one in a trillion.”
The Simpers want to know who their rescuers are and tell them just how much their heroic actions mean.
“Ever since it happened, I just keep thinking, 'I wish I knew who you were so I could see you and tell you thank you and how much I really, really appreciate it.'"
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor young...
- Mother of slain baby to serve 90 days in jail
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 26
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20