Huntsman Cancer Institute names new medical director
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A new chief took charge of medical operations at the Huntsman Cancer Institute this week.
Dr. John Sweetenham, former professor of medicine at the University of California, San Diego, and medical director at the UCSD University of Nevada Cancer Institute, was appointed as Huntsman's senior director of clinical affairs and executive medical director. He will also teach at the University of Utah's department of medicine in the division of hematologic oncology.
Sweetenham is a nationally respected clinician, scientist and administrator, according to David Entwistle, CEO of University of Utah hospitals and clinics. The new chief has served in various leadership capacities at academic medical centers across the country, including the Cleveland Clinic and the University of Colorado.
Sweetenham trained at the Medical College of St. Bartholomew's in London and completed oncology fellowships focusing in clinical research at the University of Southampton in London.
He began his Huntsman job April 1, replacing Dr. Randall Burt, who served as interim medical director at Huntsman during the past year.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 163
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- The ghosts under our feet: 88... 10
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence... 10