Huntsman Cancer Institute names new medical director
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A new chief took charge of medical operations at the Huntsman Cancer Institute this week.
Dr. John Sweetenham, former professor of medicine at the University of California, San Diego, and medical director at the UCSD University of Nevada Cancer Institute, was appointed as Huntsman's senior director of clinical affairs and executive medical director. He will also teach at the University of Utah's department of medicine in the division of hematologic oncology.
Sweetenham is a nationally respected clinician, scientist and administrator, according to David Entwistle, CEO of University of Utah hospitals and clinics. The new chief has served in various leadership capacities at academic medical centers across the country, including the Cleveland Clinic and the University of Colorado.
Sweetenham trained at the Medical College of St. Bartholomew's in London and completed oncology fellowships focusing in clinical research at the University of Southampton in London.
He began his Huntsman job April 1, replacing Dr. Randall Burt, who served as interim medical director at Huntsman during the past year.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18