Huntsman Cancer Institute names new medical director
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A new chief took charge of medical operations at the Huntsman Cancer Institute this week.
Dr. John Sweetenham, former professor of medicine at the University of California, San Diego, and medical director at the UCSD University of Nevada Cancer Institute, was appointed as Huntsman's senior director of clinical affairs and executive medical director. He will also teach at the University of Utah's department of medicine in the division of hematologic oncology.
Sweetenham is a nationally respected clinician, scientist and administrator, according to David Entwistle, CEO of University of Utah hospitals and clinics. The new chief has served in various leadership capacities at academic medical centers across the country, including the Cleveland Clinic and the University of Colorado.
Sweetenham trained at the Medical College of St. Bartholomew's in London and completed oncology fellowships focusing in clinical research at the University of Southampton in London.
He began his Huntsman job April 1, replacing Dr. Randall Burt, who served as interim medical director at Huntsman during the past year.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Chris Stewart endorses presidential... 18