Huntsman Cancer Institute names new medical director
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A new chief took charge of medical operations at the Huntsman Cancer Institute this week.
Dr. John Sweetenham, former professor of medicine at the University of California, San Diego, and medical director at the UCSD University of Nevada Cancer Institute, was appointed as Huntsman's senior director of clinical affairs and executive medical director. He will also teach at the University of Utah's department of medicine in the division of hematologic oncology.
Sweetenham is a nationally respected clinician, scientist and administrator, according to David Entwistle, CEO of University of Utah hospitals and clinics. The new chief has served in various leadership capacities at academic medical centers across the country, including the Cleveland Clinic and the University of Colorado.
Sweetenham trained at the Medical College of St. Bartholomew's in London and completed oncology fellowships focusing in clinical research at the University of Southampton in London.
He began his Huntsman job April 1, replacing Dr. Randall Burt, who served as interim medical director at Huntsman during the past year.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14