Deseret News archives
The general conference I remember the best was in April 2008 because it was the first following the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley.
The Saturday morning session began with what is referred to as a solemn assembly. I was a relatively new convert to the church at that time and it was something I had never experienced before. My wife had told me this is a sacred event and the last time she had experienced a solemn assembly was when President Hinckley had become the prophet.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, the new second counselor in the First Presidency, conducted the solemn assembly. It was an experience that I will never forget. I felt honored and proud to sustain the new First Presidency. My only regret was that I was not able to be in the Conference Center or Tabernacle for the solemn assembly.
It made for a very special general conference experience for me. It is the conference that I will always remember as the best, thus far.
Michael Augsburger is the football and basketball play-by-play announcer for KVEL-AM 920 doing primarily Uintah High School sports. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists to...
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- LDS convert and influential friend reunite...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 99
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 76
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 71
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 54
- In our opinion: The Ten Commandments in... 53
- How much did President Obama donate to... 42
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 33