Deseret News archives
The general conference I remember the best was in April 2008 because it was the first following the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley.
The Saturday morning session began with what is referred to as a solemn assembly. I was a relatively new convert to the church at that time and it was something I had never experienced before. My wife had told me this is a sacred event and the last time she had experienced a solemn assembly was when President Hinckley had become the prophet.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, the new second counselor in the First Presidency, conducted the solemn assembly. It was an experience that I will never forget. I felt honored and proud to sustain the new First Presidency. My only regret was that I was not able to be in the Conference Center or Tabernacle for the solemn assembly.
It made for a very special general conference experience for me. It is the conference that I will always remember as the best, thus far.
Michael Augsburger is the football and basketball play-by-play announcer for KVEL-AM 920 doing primarily Uintah High School sports. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 105
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 37
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 34
- New friends plan to work together to... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17
- 5 reasons why we want to believe Jesus... 14