Deseret News archives
The general conference I remember the best was in April 2008 because it was the first following the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley.
The Saturday morning session began with what is referred to as a solemn assembly. I was a relatively new convert to the church at that time and it was something I had never experienced before. My wife had told me this is a sacred event and the last time she had experienced a solemn assembly was when President Hinckley had become the prophet.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, the new second counselor in the First Presidency, conducted the solemn assembly. It was an experience that I will never forget. I felt honored and proud to sustain the new First Presidency. My only regret was that I was not able to be in the Conference Center or Tabernacle for the solemn assembly.
It made for a very special general conference experience for me. It is the conference that I will always remember as the best, thus far.
Michael Augsburger is the football and basketball play-by-play announcer for KVEL-AM 920 doing primarily Uintah High School sports. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Ask Angela: I suffered from depression,...
- Can the return of 'Cosmos' extend the scope...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Church History Symposium examines Mormonism's...
- LDS World: Receiving comfort in our afflictions
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 89
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 63
- When Satan steals your motherhood 46
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 24
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after... 15
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from... 13