Deseret News archives
The general conference I remember the best was in April 2008 because it was the first following the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley.
The Saturday morning session began with what is referred to as a solemn assembly. I was a relatively new convert to the church at that time and it was something I had never experienced before. My wife had told me this is a sacred event and the last time she had experienced a solemn assembly was when President Hinckley had become the prophet.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, the new second counselor in the First Presidency, conducted the solemn assembly. It was an experience that I will never forget. I felt honored and proud to sustain the new First Presidency. My only regret was that I was not able to be in the Conference Center or Tabernacle for the solemn assembly.
It made for a very special general conference experience for me. It is the conference that I will always remember as the best, thus far.
Michael Augsburger is the football and basketball play-by-play announcer for KVEL-AM 920 doing primarily Uintah High School sports. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10...
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- LDS Church releases video about overcoming...
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 90
- LDS Church releases video about... 43
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 24
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 19
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 11
- John Lennon's killer: My life is all... 8
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 7