Deseret News archives
The general conference I remember the best was in April 2008 because it was the first following the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley.
The Saturday morning session began with what is referred to as a solemn assembly. I was a relatively new convert to the church at that time and it was something I had never experienced before. My wife had told me this is a sacred event and the last time she had experienced a solemn assembly was when President Hinckley had become the prophet.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, the new second counselor in the First Presidency, conducted the solemn assembly. It was an experience that I will never forget. I felt honored and proud to sustain the new First Presidency. My only regret was that I was not able to be in the Conference Center or Tabernacle for the solemn assembly.
It made for a very special general conference experience for me. It is the conference that I will always remember as the best, thus far.
Michael Augsburger is the football and basketball play-by-play announcer for KVEL-AM 920 doing primarily Uintah High School sports. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter of name...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 22
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 18