Deseret News archives
The general conference I remember the best was in April 2008 because it was the first following the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley.
The Saturday morning session began with what is referred to as a solemn assembly. I was a relatively new convert to the church at that time and it was something I had never experienced before. My wife had told me this is a sacred event and the last time she had experienced a solemn assembly was when President Hinckley had become the prophet.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, the new second counselor in the First Presidency, conducted the solemn assembly. It was an experience that I will never forget. I felt honored and proud to sustain the new First Presidency. My only regret was that I was not able to be in the Conference Center or Tabernacle for the solemn assembly.
It made for a very special general conference experience for me. It is the conference that I will always remember as the best, thus far.
Michael Augsburger is the football and basketball play-by-play announcer for KVEL-AM 920 doing primarily Uintah High School sports. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of prophets
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 45
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4
- Over half a million people attended... 4
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 4