Deseret News archives
The general conference I remember the best was in April 2008 because it was the first following the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley.
The Saturday morning session began with what is referred to as a solemn assembly. I was a relatively new convert to the church at that time and it was something I had never experienced before. My wife had told me this is a sacred event and the last time she had experienced a solemn assembly was when President Hinckley had become the prophet.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, the new second counselor in the First Presidency, conducted the solemn assembly. It was an experience that I will never forget. I felt honored and proud to sustain the new First Presidency. My only regret was that I was not able to be in the Conference Center or Tabernacle for the solemn assembly.
It made for a very special general conference experience for me. It is the conference that I will always remember as the best, thus far.
Michael Augsburger is the football and basketball play-by-play announcer for KVEL-AM 920 doing primarily Uintah High School sports. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Wright Words: A day in the life of Mormon...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS grandmother completes Personal Progress...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 46
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 39
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 28
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 23
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 20
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 17
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 11