USU gymnastics: three Aggie gymnasts set for regional competition
Utah State gymnastics will have three individuals competing in the 2013 NCAA Regional Championships in Columbus, Ohio, hosted by the Ohio State University. Action from St. John Arena will take place Saturday, April 6, beginning at 4 p.m. MT.
Junior Paige Jones and sophomore Sarah Landes will be competing in the all-around, while freshman Stefanie Daley will compete on the balance beam. Jones and Landes each participated in the 2012 NCAA Regional Championships while Jones also competed as a freshman in 2011. This will be the first regional appearance for Daley.
The three Aggie gymnasts will be joined by No. 6 UCLA, No. 7 LSU, No. 18 Arizona, No. 24 Central Michigan, North Carolina State and host No. 20 Ohio State. Air Force all-around competitors Linnaea Hance, Katie Hawthorne and Jennifer Larsen will also compete, while their teammate Jessica Wallender will join Daley as the other event specialist, competing on vault, bars and floor.
Jones will rotate through the events with LSU, Landes will be with UCLA, and Daley will join North Carolina State. Landes will start the night on vault and Jones will be on a bye with bars up next. Daley will get her event over quickly, as North Carolina State is on beam for the first rotation.
The top two teams and the top two all-around competitors who are not on an advancing team from each regional will receive an automatic berth to the national championships in Los Angeles, Calif., April 20-22, hosted by UCLA at Pauley Pavillion. In addition, the event winners at each regional site will advance to the national championships in their event if they are not part of a qualifying team or an all-around qualifier.
Aggie fans who wish to attend the regional championships can purchase tickets through Ohio State. Adult tickets are $10, while students, children and seniors (62+) are $8. Groups of 20 or more may purchase discounted tickets in advance for $5 apiece by calling 1-800-GOBUCKS or online.
Live meet results will be available online through the “Live Stats” and “Watch Live” links on USU's website that will redirect to Ohio State’s website. Live video feed will be free to fans. The live stats will only work after competition has begun.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 33
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28