, Sanpete County
MANTI — Three new criminal charges were filed Thursday against Troy Knapp, the elusive "Mountain Man" accused of evading police for years.
Knapp was charged in Sanpete County's 6th District Court with burglary, a second-degree felony, in addition to class B misdemeanor charges of theft and criminal mischief.
The new charges against Knapp, who was arrested Tuesday near Ferron Reservoir after allegedly firing at a Department of Public Safety helicopter before finding himself surrounded by 40 officers, are for alleged crimes that occurred in October 2012.
Knapp now faces 21 charges in four Utah counties, and will likely face additional charges for his alleged actions surrounding Tuesday's arrest. He also faces potential federal charges for possession of stolen firearms.
In Garfield County, Knapp is charged with four counts of burglary and two counts of theft. In Iron County, Knapp is facing four counts of burglary and three counts of theft — all charges for incidents between June 2009 and September of 2011. In Kane County, he is charged with aggravated burglary, two counts of burglary and purchase, transfer or use of a firearm by a restricted person stemming from a December 2011 incident.
Knapp, a survivalist, is accused of breaking into cabins across much of central and southern Utah for as least seven years. He is accused of living off the supplies left behind by cabin owners who were not home, and stealing food, clothing and weapons.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Body of overdue hiker found in Zion National...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 77
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 35
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 21
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18