, Sanpete County
MANTI — Three new criminal charges were filed Thursday against Troy Knapp, the elusive "Mountain Man" accused of evading police for years.
Knapp was charged in Sanpete County's 6th District Court with burglary, a second-degree felony, in addition to class B misdemeanor charges of theft and criminal mischief.
The new charges against Knapp, who was arrested Tuesday near Ferron Reservoir after allegedly firing at a Department of Public Safety helicopter before finding himself surrounded by 40 officers, are for alleged crimes that occurred in October 2012.
Knapp now faces 21 charges in four Utah counties, and will likely face additional charges for his alleged actions surrounding Tuesday's arrest. He also faces potential federal charges for possession of stolen firearms.
In Garfield County, Knapp is charged with four counts of burglary and two counts of theft. In Iron County, Knapp is facing four counts of burglary and three counts of theft — all charges for incidents between June 2009 and September of 2011. In Kane County, he is charged with aggravated burglary, two counts of burglary and purchase, transfer or use of a firearm by a restricted person stemming from a December 2011 incident.
Knapp, a survivalist, is accused of breaking into cabins across much of central and southern Utah for as least seven years. He is accused of living off the supplies left behind by cabin owners who were not home, and stealing food, clothing and weapons.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35