D. Stevens, Associated Press
The new motion picture “42” is about Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in Major League Baseball on April 15, 1947. Although the film won’t enter wide release until April 12, a flurry of positive reviews is already emerging from advance screenings.
Chadwick Boseman, the actor who plays Jackie Robinson in the movie, recently told CBS Sports that Robinson’s widow, 90-year-old Rachel Robinson, approved of the final product. “She said she is in love with the film," Boseman said. "At the end of the day, if you please her, what else is there?”
Tuesday at the White House — with Rachel Robinson on hand as an invited guest — Michelle Obama described the positive reaction that she and President Obama experienced when they screened “42” over the weekend. The Associated Press reported that the first lady commented, “I can say with all sincerity that it was truly powerful for us. We walked away from that just visibly, physically moved by the experience of the movie, of the story. It reminds you how much struggle is required to make real progress and change.”
Don Zimmer played with Robinson on the Brooklyn Dodgers from 1954-56. Now a special adviser to the Tampa Bay Rays, Zimmer screened “42” Monday and afterwards told the Tampa Bay Times, “I thought it was right on target.”
Beneath the headline “‘42' shows why Jackie Robinson still matters," the Associated Press published an article Monday that read in part, “Remembering Robinson's accomplishments is more important than ever, say people involved with ‘42’ and baseball historians alike. And because he was such an inspiring cultural figure, it's more important than ever to get his story right.”
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Italian village honoring pilots of WWII US...
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 8
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to... 4