California fugitive set fire to car following chase, St. George police say
ST. GEORGE — A car belonging to a man wanted in California was found on fire Wednesday in St. George with several guns inside.
The car was discovered near the port of entry by the Utah-Arizona border.
St. George police believe Christian Barroso, 27, a parole fugitive from California, intentionally set his car on fire following a chase with a Washington County sheriff's deputy. The chase started after a deputy pulled Barroso over about 2 a.m. on I-15 just north of the port of entry. When he discovered the driver was wanted out of California, Barroso took off.
St. George police received a call not long after about the car fire.
"The remains of a high-capacity magazine and a rifle were located in the burned vehicle. There was also handgun ammunition located inside the vehicle, but no handgun was located," according to police.
Officers — including some in a Department of Public Safety helicopter — spent several hours searching the immediate area for Barroso with no success. Police say he should be considered "armed and dangerous" and cautioned motorists not to pick up any hitchhikers in the area.
Barroso is about 5 feet 7 inches tall, 200 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. Anyone with information on Barroso can call St. George police at 435-627-4300 or 911.
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- Deedee Corradini, Salt Lake's first and only...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Victim of Washington Terrace homicide...
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan
- Utahns react to death of former Salt Lake...
- Doug Robinson: A Boy Scout for 75 years ......
- K2 The Church's grand opening a neighborhood...
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 55
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 37
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 27
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 25
- With Healthy Utah stalled, lives still... 19
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 18
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 18
- Obama plans trip to South Carolina,... 12