California fugitive set fire to car following chase, St. George police say
ST. GEORGE — A car belonging to a man wanted in California was found on fire Wednesday in St. George with several guns inside.
The car was discovered near the port of entry by the Utah-Arizona border.
St. George police believe Christian Barroso, 27, a parole fugitive from California, intentionally set his car on fire following a chase with a Washington County sheriff's deputy. The chase started after a deputy pulled Barroso over about 2 a.m. on I-15 just north of the port of entry. When he discovered the driver was wanted out of California, Barroso took off.
St. George police received a call not long after about the car fire.
"The remains of a high-capacity magazine and a rifle were located in the burned vehicle. There was also handgun ammunition located inside the vehicle, but no handgun was located," according to police.
Officers — including some in a Department of Public Safety helicopter — spent several hours searching the immediate area for Barroso with no success. Police say he should be considered "armed and dangerous" and cautioned motorists not to pick up any hitchhikers in the area.
Barroso is about 5 feet 7 inches tall, 200 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. Anyone with information on Barroso can call St. George police at 435-627-4300 or 911.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 86
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 27
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16