California fugitive set fire to car following chase, St. George police say
ST. GEORGE — A car belonging to a man wanted in California was found on fire Wednesday in St. George with several guns inside.
The car was discovered near the port of entry by the Utah-Arizona border.
St. George police believe Christian Barroso, 27, a parole fugitive from California, intentionally set his car on fire following a chase with a Washington County sheriff's deputy. The chase started after a deputy pulled Barroso over about 2 a.m. on I-15 just north of the port of entry. When he discovered the driver was wanted out of California, Barroso took off.
St. George police received a call not long after about the car fire.
"The remains of a high-capacity magazine and a rifle were located in the burned vehicle. There was also handgun ammunition located inside the vehicle, but no handgun was located," according to police.
Officers — including some in a Department of Public Safety helicopter — spent several hours searching the immediate area for Barroso with no success. Police say he should be considered "armed and dangerous" and cautioned motorists not to pick up any hitchhikers in the area.
Barroso is about 5 feet 7 inches tall, 200 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. Anyone with information on Barroso can call St. George police at 435-627-4300 or 911.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Police say son beat 70-year-old father to death
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- Uintah County man accused of assaulting...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Review board clears Salt Lake police... 30
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26