OREM — The Murdock Canal Trail will celebrate its grand opening Saturday, May 18. Events will be held along the trail in Orem, Lindon, Pleasant Grove, Cedar Hills, American Fork, Highland and Lehi.
The 16-mile trail will include three paved lanes — a bike lane in each direction and a pedestrian lane — as well as an unpaved equestrian trail.
The trail is being put in as part of the Provo Reservoir Canal Enclosure Project. The canal is one of the main water-delivery arteries along the Wasatch Front and was the largest canal in Utah County. Enclosing the canal provides additional safety, improves water quality and saves water from seepage and evaporation. Before it was enclosed, officials estimate the canal lost about 10 percent of the water it was designed to transport.
• The Orem events will begin with an 8 a.m. ribbon-cutting at 1200 North and 800 East. The passport station is open from 8-10 a.m., with celebration activities taking place during that time, including a continental breakfast and a relay.
• Lindon's ribbon-cutting is at 9 a.m. at Lindon View Trailhead, approximately 300 North and 780 East. The passport station will be open from 9–11 a.m. and celebration activities will take place 8-11 a.m. Activities include a Family Fun Run and Arbor Day tree planting.
• Pleasant Grove will cut the ribbon at 9:30 a.m at Wade Springs Trailhead, near 600 East and 1100 North. Passport station open hours and celebration activities will run from 9–11:30 a.m., including giveaways.
• Cedar Hills' ribbon-cutting ceremony will be at 10 a.m. at 3595 W. Canyon Heights Drive, and the passport station is open 9:30 a.m.-noon.
• American Fork's ribbon-cutting will be at 10:30 a.m. at Highland Glen Trailhead, approximately 9800 North and 5200 West, with passport station open 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
• Highland's ribbon-cutting ceremony is at 11 a.m. at Mitchell Hollow Park, 10325 N. 6530 West. Passport station will be open from 10:30 a.m-12:30 p.m., and local businesses will have booths.
• The Lehi ribbon-cutting ceremony will be at 11:30 a.m. at Smith’s, 1550 E. 3500 North. Passport station will be open from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. A closing event and prize drawing will be held at 2 p.m. at this location.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Firefighter, 3 others injured in apartment blaze
- Holladay man killed, son injured in shooting...
- Teen in critical condition after friend...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 29
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 28
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11