SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will commemorate Days of Remembrance to remember the Holocaust with activities on April 10-11.
The theme is “70 Years Later: Remembering the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising” and features a keynote address by Peter Black, senior historian at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Black will speak on Thursday, April 11, from 7-9 p.m. at the U.’s Carol Tanner Irish Humanitarian Building Lecture Hall, room 109. Prior to the speech, there will be a candlelight vigil at 6:30 p.m. in the hall on the patio and labyrinth.
The activities recall events in 1940 when German occupational authorities began to concentrate Poland’s population of more than 3 million Jews into a number of extremely crowded ghettos located in large Polish cities. The largest of these, the Warsaw Ghetto, concentrated approximately 300,000 to 400,000 people into a densely packed central area of the city. At least 300,000 Jews detained in Warsaw died after they were deported to extermination camps where they faced rampant disease and starvation.
As the remaining members of the ghetto population were about to be sent to the Treblinka extermination camp, the largest Jewish revolt of World War II occurred.
Black will focus on genocide motivated by religious and ethnic hatred, including the significance of religious discrimination as well as the role that all religions play in resisting and combating intolerance.
The events include the Reading of the Names ceremony where faculty, students, staff and community members read the names of more than 3,000 victims of the Holocaust. For more information visit www.diversity.utah.edu/days-of-remembrance.
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 108
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 96
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 43
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 31
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17