Members of the LDS faith have become known for wearing yellow shirts and giving service. The Mormon Helping Hands program is organized by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in order to provide community service and disaster relief to those in need.
Projects have been conducted throughout Latin America, Africa, Asia, Europe, the Pacific and the United States. But one project in Queens, N.Y., just last year was documented on video, which has not only gone viral, but has been nominated for original reporting in the CNN iReport Awards.
The video was created by Joshua Brown on Nov. 11, when several Mormon congregations canceled church services in order to serve their community in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
CNN iReporter producer Christina Zdanowicz described why the video was selected as a nominee: "From the vivid imagery to the emotional interviews with residents affected by Sandy, Brown’s video takes you to a place that lost it all. The arc of the story goes from the despair people face to the hope they feel when volunteers come to save the day."
This is the third annual iReport Awards, in which videos can be nominated in six categories: Breaking News, Original Reporting, Compelling Imagery, Commentary, Personal Story and In-depth Storytelling.
A panel of seven judges will select a winner for each category. Voting is also open to select a video to receive the Community Choice Award. Any of the nominees may be selected to win this award. Voting is allowed once every 24 hours until May 6. Honorees will be announced May 14.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but not a...
- Pope visits Auschwitz in silence, meets...
- Elder LeGrand R. Curtis Jr. addresses 'A...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees in Athens,...
- Famed British sextet highlights Pioneer Day...
- Pioneer Day sunrise service: 'A legacy of faith'
- Days of '47 Parade: 'Pioneers: Inspiring...
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 34
- 'Duck Dynasty' star: Media,... 26
- Defending the Faith: The 18th annual... 19
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 17
- The Clean Cut: New BYU football video... 15
- 5 prayers to God that were just uttered... 15
- Great quote, Tim Kaine, but John Wesley... 12