Members of the LDS faith have become known for wearing yellow shirts and giving service. The Mormon Helping Hands program is organized by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in order to provide community service and disaster relief to those in need.
Projects have been conducted throughout Latin America, Africa, Asia, Europe, the Pacific and the United States. But one project in Queens, N.Y., just last year was documented on video, which has not only gone viral, but has been nominated for original reporting in the CNN iReport Awards.
The video was created by Joshua Brown on Nov. 11, when several Mormon congregations canceled church services in order to serve their community in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
CNN iReporter producer Christina Zdanowicz described why the video was selected as a nominee: "From the vivid imagery to the emotional interviews with residents affected by Sandy, Brown’s video takes you to a place that lost it all. The arc of the story goes from the despair people face to the hope they feel when volunteers come to save the day."
This is the third annual iReport Awards, in which videos can be nominated in six categories: Breaking News, Original Reporting, Compelling Imagery, Commentary, Personal Story and In-depth Storytelling.
A panel of seven judges will select a winner for each category. Voting is also open to select a video to receive the Community Choice Award. Any of the nominees may be selected to win this award. Voting is allowed once every 24 hours until May 6. Honorees will be announced May 14.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 75
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 45
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 27
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 17
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 12