Woman chases after attackers, gets shot at 2nd time, police say
SANDY — Police say a woman was fired upon inside a motel room early Thursday, then chased after her attackers and was shot at again.
The wild scene started about 5:15 a.m. at the Extended Stay Hotel, 7555 S. Union Park Ave. when a 33-year-old woman went to one of the rooms to meet a male acquaintance, said Sandy Police Lt. Victor Quezada.
As soon as the man opened the door, "he starts assaulting her immediately," he said.
A second woman came up from behind and also began assaulting the victim and forced her into the hotel room. "The female suspect pulls out a silver handgun and shoots at her head," Quezada said.
The shot missed. At least two other people in the hotel later confirmed to investigators they heard shots fired.
After the shooting, the three ran down the hallway of the hotel. The two suspects got into a pickup truck to leave after stealing the victim's purse and cellphone, Quezada said. The female victim, however, tried to follow and jumped into the bed of the pickup.
As the truck drove off, the gunwoman fired at least two more shots at the victim, Quezada said. The man then stopped the truck near the on-ramp to I-215, got out and punched the victim again in the face.
At that point, the woman decided to jump out of the truck just as it started to move again.
The woman suffered a bloody nose, chipped tooth and other bruises, Quezada said.
The suspects were last seen in a white pickup truck with an attached silver toolbox in back, and an Ohio license plate PHR 1438.
The male suspect was described as a white man, about 6 feet 3 inches tall, 200 pounds, with short brown hair and a lot of tattoos over his body, including his name tattooed on his chest, Quezada said. He was last seen wearing a white T-Shirt with a black vest and a black baseball cap worn backwards. Detectives believe they know who the man is, and Quezada said if it's the person they think it is, he has an extensive criminal history.
The female is a Polynesian woman about 5 feet 2 inches tall, 125 pounds, approximately 25 years old, and was last seen wearing a striped shirt and blue jeans.
As of Thursday morning, investigators were waiting to secure a search warrant to go through the hotel room. Quezada said no one in the other rooms was hit by the bullet.
Anyone with information on the suspects can call police at 801-840-4000.
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns considering...
- Real Salt Lake proposes to pay for $18M...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 58
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 24
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 23
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- New prison site not expected to be... 16
- Former Utah Speaker of the House Becky... 15