BYU baseball: Cougars start three-game series at Santa Clara
Now at the .500 mark overall for the third time this season, BYU’s baseball team hopes to do the same with its record in the West Coast Conference.
BYU (14-14 overall and 2-4 in the WCC) returns to California this week to face Santa Clara (8-18, 0-6). With the three-game series starting Thursday, the Cougars could go above the .500 mark in league play on the heels of a 2-1 record last week against Pepperdine in Provo.
“It’s a confidence thing, you play well and that can’t hurt going into Santa Clara,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said after an 8-0 victory over Utah Valley University earlier this week.
Pitcher Desmond Poulson (3-0, 1.83), who threw two complete games last month, gets the start again to open the series Thursday versus the Broncos at 6 p.m. PDT. Fellow junior right-hander Adam Miller (1-5, 6.14) starts for BYU on Friday at 6 p.m. Saturday afternoon’s starter is TBA for both squads.
For the third consecutive week, BYU leads the nation in double plays, with an average of turning 1.48 a game.
Following the three-game series at Santa Clara, BYU returns home to host Washington State on Monday morning, Utah on Tuesday night and Portland in a three-game series. All of these games plus this weekend’s series at Santa Clara will be broadcast live on KOVO Radio 960 AM.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18