LDS Living magazine releases collection of Mormon favorites in 'Greatest LDS Songs of All Time'
"GREATEST LDS SONGS OF ALL TIME," LDS Living, Shadow Mountain Records, $16.98
LDS Living Magazine recently conducted a survey to find out what the most beloved LDS song is that's not a hymn. While the results may surprise you, nearly all members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will find songs they recognize on the "Greatest LDS Songs of All Time," a 100-title list of the best of the best.
In the January-February issue of the magazine, the stories of the top 10 songs on the list are told. The situations behind them vary as much as the songs, ranging from needing a song to help endure difficult medical testing to a hurriedly written assignment for an LDS seminary devotional.
Some of the songs have been part of LDS culture for years, like "Line Upon Line" from "Saturday's Warrior," which comes in at No. 7, while others are newer but already beloved, like "Scripture Power" by Clive Romney and Sandy Gagon. That song was voted No. 9. Some won their way into Mormon hearts at Primary, others at Especially For Youth programs, LDS musicals or other recordings.
Several favorite performers are listed more than once on the list. Long-time Mormon music mainstay Kenneth Cope has 11 nods. Janice Kapp Perry, Michael McLean and Hilary Weeks also appear multiple times, along with others.
LDS Living teamed up with Shadow Mountain Records to produce an audio collection of some of the top songs from this list. For the most part, the recordings are high quality, although a few minor mistakes crop up in piano accompaniments, and a couple other recordings show their age. But for the most part, the collection is an easy way to have all these favorites in one place. Many songs can also be downloaded from iTunes or Amazon by visiting LDS Living Magazine online.
So what was the No. 1 song in the survey? "A Child's Prayer" by Janice Kapp Perry. She says, "Over the years, it has become clear that this song is the people's favorite. Of the 1,300 songs I've written, this is my favorite too."
Margot Hovley's first novel, "Sudden Darkness," was published by Covenant Communications in Fall 2012. Find her popular self-reliance blog at www.mynewoldschool.com or read about her writing adventures at www.margothovley.com.
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common Core,...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- LDS Church releases video about overcoming...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 46
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 11
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 9
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- In the Whirled: World peace and the... 5