NORTH OGDEN — A man who police say threatened grocery store patrons with a knife was arrested by police early Wednesday.
Just before midnight Tuesday, a man tried to leave Smith's Food and Drug, 2560 N. 400 East, without paying for groceries, according to a prepared statement from the North Ogden Police Department.
"When confronted by store employees, the suspect produced a large knife and threatened to kill the employees," according to police.
The man ran off, but officers received a call a short time later of someone trying to rob a 7-Eleven just a block away, 416 E. 2600 North. An officer recognized the suspect's description as being Bryan David North, 38, a man he had dealt with previously.
Investigators went to North's home near 2600 North and 200 East and found him "behaving erratically," according to police. He came out of his house brandishing a knife at officers, police said.
North dropped the knife after officers contained him at gunpoint, according to police. But he continued to act in a "threatening manner," prompting an officer to use his Taser.
Detectives discovered the knife was fake. North was booked into the Weber County Jail for investigation of aggravated robbery, retail theft, resisting arrest and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Utah State Court records show North has a long criminal history, including recently being charged in 2nd District Court with possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a third-degree felony. He was convicted of felony drug possession in 2002, according to court records, and theft in 2001.
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Deputy's suicide prompted Tooele school...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Utah too dependent on federal dollars, state...
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 27
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 16
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 15
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15