Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Natalie Gochnour, who worked for three Utah governors and in President George W. Bush's administration, has been named an associate dean of the University of Utah's David Eccles School of Business.
"I'll be looking at all the ways we can bring the good public policy work going on at the University of Utah into the hands of the business community," Gochnour said.
She will report to both business school Dean Taylor Randall and U. President David Pershing.
Pershing called Gochnour's career impressive and said her "deep experience specializing in the Utah economy will prove to be an invaluable asset in laying the foundation for this new university-wide initiative."
Gochnour will continue to serve as a senior adviser and chief economist to the Salt Lake Chamber, where she had been executive vice president of public policy and communication, as well as chief economist.
She has stepped down from her vice president position at Leavitt Partners, a health care consulting firm headed by former Gov. Mike Leavitt. Gochnour said she will still help with Leavitt's national media.
Gochnour, who also worked for former Govs. Norm Bangerter and Olene Walker, was Leavitt's spokeswoman during his time as governor, which included the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.
She went with Leavitt to Washington, serving as an associate administrator at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency when he headed the agency and his deputy when he was health and human services secretary.
The chamber welcomed Gochnour's new position at the U. Lane Beattie, chamber president and CEO, said the state will "benefit tremendously from an even stronger connection" between the U. and the business community.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in state...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 66
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 16
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 15
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13