Elusive 'Mountain Man' was paranoid, detailed, police say
'I got out ... quick,' chopper pilot says after shots were fired at him
Curtis estimated Knapp broke into 15 to 18 cabins in Sevier County alone. In Garfield County, he is suspected in as many as 30 break-ins with dozens more in Iron, Kane, Sanpete and Emery counties. Curtis said Knapp told his investigators he had broken into many more than they were aware of.
"He said. 'If you bring my maps in, I'll show you where things are and where I've been. He actually had maps of the state of where he'd been," the sheriff said.
Knapp also kept an AM radio with him that he used to try and keep track of what law enforcement officials were saying about him.
Kane County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Tracy Glover said once Knapp's identity was discovered about a year ago, it was clear that Knapp left the Kane County area.
"He got quite a bit of pressure once we figured out his identity down in our area," he said. "We think he left here about a year ago and started moving north. We could kind of follow him through Beaver County and Piute County into Sevier County."
Investigators also believe there are many undiscovered remote campsites where Knapp lived during the summers. Curtis expects there may be "lots" of weapons at these campsites. Knapp told deputies he would point out on a map where the campsites are located.
Knapp was being held Wednesday in the Sanpete County Jail. He is currently facing 18 criminal charges in Iron, Kane and Garfield counties. He is also expected to charged with additional crimes for events that happened Tuesday. Charges could be filed in Sanpete County as well as possible federal charges for allegedly stealing firearms.
"It definitely is something we'll remember for a long time. It's not very often we get shot at in the helicopter," Bowman said. "To actually have a suspect point a gun at us is a little bit out of the norm. But again, I never felt threatened, just because of our distance."
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- Grantsville residents tell Prison Relocation...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 41
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 32
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 23
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 19
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 18
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17