Hyrum man, 81, severely burned while torching weeds
HYRUM — A Hyrum man who police say was "engulfed in flames" was hospitalized in extremely critical condition Wednesday with third-degree burns over 90 percent of his body.
Ray Jessop, 81, was burning weeds next to his back fence with a propane torch about 11 a.m. when his clothing caught fire, according to the Cache County Sheriff's Office. He was discovered by a teenager who had been helping him.
Jessop was taken to Logan Regional Hospital and then transported by medical helicopter to the burn center at University Hospital in Salt Lake City.
Braxton Wood, who lives by Jessop, had gone to fetch equipment to help his neighbor cut the lawn. When he returned, he found Jessop trembling and smoke coming off his burned body, with the clothes burned away and the hair gone from his head.
"He was just sitting there shaking," Wood said. "I asked if he was OK and he just kind of nodded his head really weakly. He wasn't doing too good."
Wood put out the fire, which had caught a wood fence post, while another neighbor alerted Jessop's wife and called 911.
Braxton Wood's mother, Toni Wood, said Jessop was "meticulous" about caring for his yard, spending a considerable amount of time working around his house and garden.
"He shares the fruits of his labor with his neighbors," Toni Woods said. "He just keeps working on his yard and doing the things he's always done before."
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Samuelson honored as 5,648 graduate from BYU
- Unwarranted drug database search prompts new...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 58
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 35
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14