"We went multiple possessions during that stretch where I thought we got good looks at the basket, and we just didn't convert," Rose said.
BYU led by as many as four in the first half, 17-13. The two teams traded leads throughout the first 20 minutes and Baylor enjoyed a 35-33 advantage at intermission, as Haws had three turnovers in the closing minutes of the first half.
With a little more than eight minutes remaining in the first half, Davies picked up his second personal foul and went to the bench. Baylor retook the lead. Davies returned with six minutes left, stopping a 6-0 Bear run.
The Cougars opened the second half strong after a Haws jumper and a 3-pointer by Carlino — which was BYU's first of the game.
But an inability to hit shots doomed the Cougars at a time when they needed to separate themselves from Baylor.
But Drew was impressed with the way BYU played.
"You've got to really credit BYU because they really compete hard. They never give up," Drew said. "It's a team that's used to winning. I don't know how many times they've had 25-plus win seasons in a row. I don't know what they finished this year, but it's a lot of tradition. We have a lot of respect for them and knew it was going to be a hard-fought game just like the last two times we played them were."
NOTES: BYU was 0-3 this season playing in New York City, including losses to Florida State and Notre Dame at the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn last November BYU's mascot, Cosmo, wore a Mel Hutchins jersey Tuesday night. Hutchins, whose number 14 was retired in February, was part of the Cougars' 1951 NIT championship team.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28