"We went multiple possessions during that stretch where I thought we got good looks at the basket, and we just didn't convert," Rose said.
BYU led by as many as four in the first half, 17-13. The two teams traded leads throughout the first 20 minutes and Baylor enjoyed a 35-33 advantage at intermission, as Haws had three turnovers in the closing minutes of the first half.
With a little more than eight minutes remaining in the first half, Davies picked up his second personal foul and went to the bench. Baylor retook the lead. Davies returned with six minutes left, stopping a 6-0 Bear run.
The Cougars opened the second half strong after a Haws jumper and a 3-pointer by Carlino — which was BYU's first of the game.
But an inability to hit shots doomed the Cougars at a time when they needed to separate themselves from Baylor.
But Drew was impressed with the way BYU played.
"You've got to really credit BYU because they really compete hard. They never give up," Drew said. "It's a team that's used to winning. I don't know how many times they've had 25-plus win seasons in a row. I don't know what they finished this year, but it's a lot of tradition. We have a lot of respect for them and knew it was going to be a hard-fought game just like the last two times we played them were."
NOTES: BYU was 0-3 this season playing in New York City, including losses to Florida State and Notre Dame at the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn last November BYU's mascot, Cosmo, wore a Mel Hutchins jersey Tuesday night. Hutchins, whose number 14 was retired in February, was part of the Cougars' 1951 NIT championship team.
- BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe talks...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Carter Williams: Steph Curry is becoming...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 113
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37