NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley's McKell Camp-Nielsen and Michael McPherson have been named Great West Conference Track & Field Athletes of the Week. The inaugural awards of the 2013 outdoor season were announced Tuesday by the conference office.
Camp-Nielsen received the women's honor after winning the javelin at the San Diego State Open with a throw of 43.82m and taking second in the Aztec Invitational the next day with a toss of 48.21m. Her 48.21m mark is the best in the GWC this season and would have qualified for the NCAA Western Regional each of the past three years. Camp-Nielsen, a senior from Salina, Utah, is the reigning Great West Conference javelin champion.
On the men's side, McPherson was honored after winning the decathlon at the San Diego State Multi-Event Invitational. The junior from Parker, Colo., posted a score of 6,474 points and won the event by 476 points. The 2009 GWC Men's Athlete of the Year and decathlon champion, won five of the ten events and set personal records in the shot put and high jump.
Others nominated for the inaugural awards were Houston Baptist's Matt Perri and Hiba Kreidie, NJIT's Brian Mendez, Texas-Pan American's Andrew Lopez, Jasmine Davison and Deandra Barroso, and Utah Valley's Maryn Pincock.
Houston Baptist will host the 2013 Great West Conference Track and Field Championships on May 3-5, at Humble, Texas.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33