As I was going through the check-out at our local grocery store, the checker looked at one of my items and asked, “What is this?”
I told her they were fresh beets. She asked, “Do you eat these?” to which I replied, “Yes. They are very good.” She gave me a skeptical smirk and went on with her scanning.
Next came the kale. She held it up to study. “It’s kale,” I said, trying to help. “Yes, I eat it and it is also very good.”
“I wouldn’t even know how to cook it,” she said.
I thought, "what a tragedy!" and gave her a cooking lesson right there in the check-out line. I’m an optimist, so even though I doubt she'll try cooking those new vegetables, I hope she does.
There are many wonderful and tasty vegetables many people will never enjoy simply because they don’t know how to prepare them. What with all the recipes posted online, there are hundreds of ideas available for different dishes.
In order to help, I am providing my simple way to prepare some vegetables you may have heard of but haven’t tried. This tri-color roasted vegetables are full of hearty flavor, take almost no time to prepare and are tender with just a touch of saltiness.
Belle’s Tri-Color Roasted Veggies
3 small beets, peeled with tops removed and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
4 cups brussels sprouts, ends removed and cut in half
1 onion, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Kosher or coarse salt (regular salt will be too salty)
Put all the vegetables in a large bowl. Drizzle oil over the vegetables and stir to coat. Sprinkle with salt and stir again until all the vegetables are evenly coated with oil and salt. Spread vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until browned and fork tender.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Alex Boye to make second appearance on NBC's...
- 20 things I wish I had known before having...
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- Motherhood Matters: Why your teenager might...
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney makes cameo in...
- Here’s why you should take a closer...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- The Clean Cut: Boy receives first pediatric...
- 20 things I wish I had known before... 5
- ValueSpeak: 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen' 4
- Beating the odds: Trip to the White... 4
- Alex Boye to make second appearance on... 3
- Motherhood Matters: Why your teenager... 2
- Renovation Solutions: Finding more... 1
- My view: A lifetime of thoughtful,... 1
- Balancing act: Self-confidence is key... 1