SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah Democratic congressional candidate and retired Army veteran Donna McAleer has been appointed to the Department of Defense's Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Services.
The committee, which has 20 members, was established during the Korean War in 1951 by Secretary of Defense George C. Marshall, and is an independent advisory committee that provides the department with advice and recommendations on matters and policies relating to the recruitment and retention, treatment, employment, integration, and well-being of highly qualified professional women in the Armed Forces.
“The committee’s work continues to be vital to the Department of Defense, especially as we move forward integrating women into previously closed occupational specialties and units within the U.S. military,” said Acting Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Jessica Wright.
Members are selected for a four-year term, without compensation, to perform a variety of duties including visiting military installations each year, conducting a review and evaluation of current research on military women, and developing an annual report with recommendations on these issues for service leadership and the secretary of defense.
"The Department of Defense couldn’t have made a better choice," said Utah Democratic Party Chairman Sen. Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake City. "We were lucky to have Donna on our ballot in November, and the country is lucky to have Donna on this critical committee now."
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Women called heroes for reviving high school...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support medical...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 49
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 48
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 23