SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah Democratic congressional candidate and retired Army veteran Donna McAleer has been appointed to the Department of Defense's Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Services.
The committee, which has 20 members, was established during the Korean War in 1951 by Secretary of Defense George C. Marshall, and is an independent advisory committee that provides the department with advice and recommendations on matters and policies relating to the recruitment and retention, treatment, employment, integration, and well-being of highly qualified professional women in the Armed Forces.
“The committee’s work continues to be vital to the Department of Defense, especially as we move forward integrating women into previously closed occupational specialties and units within the U.S. military,” said Acting Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Jessica Wright.
Members are selected for a four-year term, without compensation, to perform a variety of duties including visiting military installations each year, conducting a review and evaluation of current research on military women, and developing an annual report with recommendations on these issues for service leadership and the secretary of defense.
"The Department of Defense couldn’t have made a better choice," said Utah Democratic Party Chairman Sen. Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake City. "We were lucky to have Donna on our ballot in November, and the country is lucky to have Donna on this critical committee now."
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 32
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 15
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13