SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah Democratic congressional candidate and retired Army veteran Donna McAleer has been appointed to the Department of Defense's Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Services.
The committee, which has 20 members, was established during the Korean War in 1951 by Secretary of Defense George C. Marshall, and is an independent advisory committee that provides the department with advice and recommendations on matters and policies relating to the recruitment and retention, treatment, employment, integration, and well-being of highly qualified professional women in the Armed Forces.
“The committee’s work continues to be vital to the Department of Defense, especially as we move forward integrating women into previously closed occupational specialties and units within the U.S. military,” said Acting Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Jessica Wright.
Members are selected for a four-year term, without compensation, to perform a variety of duties including visiting military installations each year, conducting a review and evaluation of current research on military women, and developing an annual report with recommendations on these issues for service leadership and the secretary of defense.
"The Department of Defense couldn’t have made a better choice," said Utah Democratic Party Chairman Sen. Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake City. "We were lucky to have Donna on our ballot in November, and the country is lucky to have Donna on this critical committee now."
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 131
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Rally in support of police also draws... 38
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 22
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9