Utah Jazz report card: Jefferson leads streaking Jazz over Portland
SALT LAKE CITY — The Jazz hadn't won five games in a row since 2007. That changed Monday night as Al Jefferson put up a double-double with 24 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Jazz over the Portland Trail Blazers, 112-102.
Guards: Mo Williams picked up where Randy Foye left off from the 3-point line against Brooklyn. Mo followed up Foye's 8-of-9 three-point performance with a 6-of-7 night from the three-point line. Mo also dished out nine assists to go with his 20 points. Foye didn't have a repeat performance against Portland but still performed well with 11 points on 3-of-6 three-point shooting to go with three assists and two steals.
Forwards: Gordon Hayward and Paul Millsap were part of the six Jazz players who finished in double figures. Hayward put up 12 points to go with five rebounds and three assists. Millsap put up 16 points to go with two rebounds and two assists. The rebounds total could have and should have been much greater for Millsap.
Centers: No Lamarcus Aldridge for Portland meant Jefferson could have his way in the paint and he did. Jefferson added two assists, two blocks and two steals to go with his double-double on the night.
Bench: Derrick Favors had the best night off the bench and it wasn't even close as he finished with 18 points, seven rebounds and two assists. Favors shot an efficient 6-of-7 from the field and 6-of-8 from the charity stripe. The only other reserve who made any noise was Alec Burks as he finished with seven points, two rebounds and a block in 21 minutes of play.
Overall: The Jazz led wire-to-wire and shot a blazing 54.2 percent from the field and 40.9 percent from 3-point range. The five-game win streak puts the Jazz one and a half games ahead of the Lakers in the playoff race.
Tyler Huskinson is a freelance journalist who loves to cover sports. You can reach him at email@example.com or follow him on twitter @TDHuskiSports.
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night Lights'...
- Runnin' Utes take on Duke in Texas-sized venue
- Utah football: Booker's return lifts offense,...
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date with...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 67
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21