Utah Jazz report card: Jefferson leads streaking Jazz over Portland
SALT LAKE CITY — The Jazz hadn't won five games in a row since 2007. That changed Monday night as Al Jefferson put up a double-double with 24 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Jazz over the Portland Trail Blazers, 112-102.
Guards: Mo Williams picked up where Randy Foye left off from the 3-point line against Brooklyn. Mo followed up Foye's 8-of-9 three-point performance with a 6-of-7 night from the three-point line. Mo also dished out nine assists to go with his 20 points. Foye didn't have a repeat performance against Portland but still performed well with 11 points on 3-of-6 three-point shooting to go with three assists and two steals.
Forwards: Gordon Hayward and Paul Millsap were part of the six Jazz players who finished in double figures. Hayward put up 12 points to go with five rebounds and three assists. Millsap put up 16 points to go with two rebounds and two assists. The rebounds total could have and should have been much greater for Millsap.
Centers: No Lamarcus Aldridge for Portland meant Jefferson could have his way in the paint and he did. Jefferson added two assists, two blocks and two steals to go with his double-double on the night.
Bench: Derrick Favors had the best night off the bench and it wasn't even close as he finished with 18 points, seven rebounds and two assists. Favors shot an efficient 6-of-7 from the field and 6-of-8 from the charity stripe. The only other reserve who made any noise was Alec Burks as he finished with seven points, two rebounds and a block in 21 minutes of play.
Overall: The Jazz led wire-to-wire and shot a blazing 54.2 percent from the field and 40.9 percent from 3-point range. The five-game win streak puts the Jazz one and a half games ahead of the Lakers in the playoff race.
Tyler Huskinson is a freelance journalist who loves to cover sports. You can reach him at email@example.com or follow him on twitter @TDHuskiSports.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33