Utah Jazz report card: Jefferson leads streaking Jazz over Portland
SALT LAKE CITY — The Jazz hadn't won five games in a row since 2007. That changed Monday night as Al Jefferson put up a double-double with 24 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Jazz over the Portland Trail Blazers, 112-102.
Guards: Mo Williams picked up where Randy Foye left off from the 3-point line against Brooklyn. Mo followed up Foye's 8-of-9 three-point performance with a 6-of-7 night from the three-point line. Mo also dished out nine assists to go with his 20 points. Foye didn't have a repeat performance against Portland but still performed well with 11 points on 3-of-6 three-point shooting to go with three assists and two steals.
Forwards: Gordon Hayward and Paul Millsap were part of the six Jazz players who finished in double figures. Hayward put up 12 points to go with five rebounds and three assists. Millsap put up 16 points to go with two rebounds and two assists. The rebounds total could have and should have been much greater for Millsap.
Centers: No Lamarcus Aldridge for Portland meant Jefferson could have his way in the paint and he did. Jefferson added two assists, two blocks and two steals to go with his double-double on the night.
Bench: Derrick Favors had the best night off the bench and it wasn't even close as he finished with 18 points, seven rebounds and two assists. Favors shot an efficient 6-of-7 from the field and 6-of-8 from the charity stripe. The only other reserve who made any noise was Alec Burks as he finished with seven points, two rebounds and a block in 21 minutes of play.
Overall: The Jazz led wire-to-wire and shot a blazing 54.2 percent from the field and 40.9 percent from 3-point range. The five-game win streak puts the Jazz one and a half games ahead of the Lakers in the playoff race.
Tyler Huskinson is a freelance journalist who loves to cover sports. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on twitter @TDHuskiSports.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new walk-on...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- Langi, Tuiloma to help anchor middle of BYU's...
- BYU coaches happy about development of...
- Tyler Haws' NBA dream path takes a detour to...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 48
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 25