Westminster lacrosse: Griffins continue streak with 23-3 defeat of Utah State
SALT LAKE CITY – The second-ranked Westminster College men’s lacrosse team continued to roll with a 23-3 win over in-state rival Utah State on Monday afternoon at Dumke Field.
Westminster has now won four straight games and sits at 10-4 overall this season. The four wins have all come at home, and the Griffins have outscored the opposition 87-12 during the stretch.
It was another quick start for the Griffins as they got a goal from Kyle Postler less than two minutes into the game. Westminster scored the game’s first five goals, and after Utah State (4-9) scored with 3:39 to play in the first quarter, the Griffins then went on a 14-0 run to the end of the third quarter to lead 19-1.
The Griffins took 58 shots and put 31 on cage while holding USU to just 16 shots with only 11 on target. Westminster won 22-of-29 face offs and also finished with a 46-23 edge in ground balls. The Griffins scored on their only extra-man opportunity and were successful on 23 of the 25 clear attempts.
Collin Madsen led the Griffins scoring attack with five goals on eight shots. He also won 8-of-11 face offs and picked up nine ground balls. Adam Marfice scored four goals, and Postler finished with three goals and five assists for a team-high eight points. Cole Christensen and Jake Arthur added three goals apiece.
All three goalies saw time for the Griffins with Erik Gronseth earning the win with four saves in 25 minutes of play. Chris Burckle played 23 minutes with two saves, and Ben Tourek made two stops in his 12 minutes.
Westminster is back in action Saturday when it welcomes No. 4 Concordia (Calif.) to town. The game from Dumke Field will begin at 1 p.m.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7