Westminster lacrosse: Griffins continue streak with 23-3 defeat of Utah State
SALT LAKE CITY – The second-ranked Westminster College men’s lacrosse team continued to roll with a 23-3 win over in-state rival Utah State on Monday afternoon at Dumke Field.
Westminster has now won four straight games and sits at 10-4 overall this season. The four wins have all come at home, and the Griffins have outscored the opposition 87-12 during the stretch.
It was another quick start for the Griffins as they got a goal from Kyle Postler less than two minutes into the game. Westminster scored the game’s first five goals, and after Utah State (4-9) scored with 3:39 to play in the first quarter, the Griffins then went on a 14-0 run to the end of the third quarter to lead 19-1.
The Griffins took 58 shots and put 31 on cage while holding USU to just 16 shots with only 11 on target. Westminster won 22-of-29 face offs and also finished with a 46-23 edge in ground balls. The Griffins scored on their only extra-man opportunity and were successful on 23 of the 25 clear attempts.
Collin Madsen led the Griffins scoring attack with five goals on eight shots. He also won 8-of-11 face offs and picked up nine ground balls. Adam Marfice scored four goals, and Postler finished with three goals and five assists for a team-high eight points. Cole Christensen and Jake Arthur added three goals apiece.
All three goalies saw time for the Griffins with Erik Gronseth earning the win with four saves in 25 minutes of play. Chris Burckle played 23 minutes with two saves, and Ben Tourek made two stops in his 12 minutes.
Westminster is back in action Saturday when it welcomes No. 4 Concordia (Calif.) to town. The game from Dumke Field will begin at 1 p.m.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 97
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 26
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 25