Man shot by police threatened to kill officers, asked to be shot
WILLARD, Box Elder County — A man shot and killed by police last week following a high-speed chase told officers he had a gun and that he was going to kill them.
On Monday, the Pleasant View Police Department released new information about the chase and shooting involving Cody Ramseyer, 49, that ended in a ditch just off I-15 in Willard.
In a prepared statement, Chief D. Scott Jackson outlined why responding officers considered Ramseyer's behavior to be "aggressive" just prior to the shooting. Ramseyer had just led officers on a chase through Davis, Weber and Box Elder counties, with speeds topping 100 mph. The chase ended when Ramseyer's GMC Denali went off the road, into a ditch, near the Willard exit.
Ramseyer "refused to exit the vehicle or show his hands as instructed by the officers," and after he did exit his truck, "indicated that he had a gun," "indicated that he was going to kill the officers" and "told the officers to kill him," according to the statement.
Jackson said Ramseyer continued progressing toward the officers "in an aggressive and noncompliant manner," even after the officers attempted to use Tasers.
A Willard police officer fired the fatal shots. Ramseyer was taken to Brigham City Community Hospital, then by helicopter to McKay-Dee Hospital Center in Ogden, where he was pronounced dead.
Ramseyer, from Sandy, is survived by a wife and 10 children. Neighbors remembered him as a helpful and friendly man. His family released a statement that he had recently been dealing with some personal "issues."
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Sister missionaries relocated from Provo MTC...
- Ask a Chef: 3 funeral potato recipes that...
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 55
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 38
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12