Man shot by police threatened to kill officers, asked to be shot
WILLARD, Box Elder County — A man shot and killed by police last week following a high-speed chase told officers he had a gun and that he was going to kill them.
On Monday, the Pleasant View Police Department released new information about the chase and shooting involving Cody Ramseyer, 49, that ended in a ditch just off I-15 in Willard.
In a prepared statement, Chief D. Scott Jackson outlined why responding officers considered Ramseyer's behavior to be "aggressive" just prior to the shooting. Ramseyer had just led officers on a chase through Davis, Weber and Box Elder counties, with speeds topping 100 mph. The chase ended when Ramseyer's GMC Denali went off the road, into a ditch, near the Willard exit.
Ramseyer "refused to exit the vehicle or show his hands as instructed by the officers," and after he did exit his truck, "indicated that he had a gun," "indicated that he was going to kill the officers" and "told the officers to kill him," according to the statement.
Jackson said Ramseyer continued progressing toward the officers "in an aggressive and noncompliant manner," even after the officers attempted to use Tasers.
A Willard police officer fired the fatal shots. Ramseyer was taken to Brigham City Community Hospital, then by helicopter to McKay-Dee Hospital Center in Ogden, where he was pronounced dead.
Ramseyer, from Sandy, is survived by a wife and 10 children. Neighbors remembered him as a helpful and friendly man. His family released a statement that he had recently been dealing with some personal "issues."
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- Police arrest 4 suspected in 33 'pillowcase...
- Officer shoots, kills dog while responding to...
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 17
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13