Man shot by police threatened to kill officers, asked to be shot
WILLARD, Box Elder County — A man shot and killed by police last week following a high-speed chase told officers he had a gun and that he was going to kill them.
On Monday, the Pleasant View Police Department released new information about the chase and shooting involving Cody Ramseyer, 49, that ended in a ditch just off I-15 in Willard.
In a prepared statement, Chief D. Scott Jackson outlined why responding officers considered Ramseyer's behavior to be "aggressive" just prior to the shooting. Ramseyer had just led officers on a chase through Davis, Weber and Box Elder counties, with speeds topping 100 mph. The chase ended when Ramseyer's GMC Denali went off the road, into a ditch, near the Willard exit.
Ramseyer "refused to exit the vehicle or show his hands as instructed by the officers," and after he did exit his truck, "indicated that he had a gun," "indicated that he was going to kill the officers" and "told the officers to kill him," according to the statement.
Jackson said Ramseyer continued progressing toward the officers "in an aggressive and noncompliant manner," even after the officers attempted to use Tasers.
A Willard police officer fired the fatal shots. Ramseyer was taken to Brigham City Community Hospital, then by helicopter to McKay-Dee Hospital Center in Ogden, where he was pronounced dead.
Ramseyer, from Sandy, is survived by a wife and 10 children. Neighbors remembered him as a helpful and friendly man. His family released a statement that he had recently been dealing with some personal "issues."
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- American Fork teen drowning victim identified
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- Woman forgives ex-boyfriend for shooting her,...
- Report: Some Utah babies more at risk of...
- Daylight saving time: Should it stay or...
- BYU students took cover in bomb shelter...
- Compost fire in South Salt Lake closes roads,...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 61
- Same-sex marriage advocates to deliver... 44
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 43
- Rep. Chaffetz keeps Romney for... 41
- Mia Love labeled 'surefire winner' by... 31
- Officer who killed family had dark... 24
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas... 20
- West Jordan City Council passes on... 18