Man shot by police threatened to kill officers, asked to be shot
WILLARD, Box Elder County — A man shot and killed by police last week following a high-speed chase told officers he had a gun and that he was going to kill them.
On Monday, the Pleasant View Police Department released new information about the chase and shooting involving Cody Ramseyer, 49, that ended in a ditch just off I-15 in Willard.
In a prepared statement, Chief D. Scott Jackson outlined why responding officers considered Ramseyer's behavior to be "aggressive" just prior to the shooting. Ramseyer had just led officers on a chase through Davis, Weber and Box Elder counties, with speeds topping 100 mph. The chase ended when Ramseyer's GMC Denali went off the road, into a ditch, near the Willard exit.
Ramseyer "refused to exit the vehicle or show his hands as instructed by the officers," and after he did exit his truck, "indicated that he had a gun," "indicated that he was going to kill the officers" and "told the officers to kill him," according to the statement.
Jackson said Ramseyer continued progressing toward the officers "in an aggressive and noncompliant manner," even after the officers attempted to use Tasers.
A Willard police officer fired the fatal shots. Ramseyer was taken to Brigham City Community Hospital, then by helicopter to McKay-Dee Hospital Center in Ogden, where he was pronounced dead.
Ramseyer, from Sandy, is survived by a wife and 10 children. Neighbors remembered him as a helpful and friendly man. His family released a statement that he had recently been dealing with some personal "issues."
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- Utah's Southwest Region recognizes the 2015...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 37
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 21
- 2 Utah chiefs with Baltimore ties say... 19
- Provo businessman declines push to run... 19