OGDEN — Weber State has accomplished quite a bit in 145 days. The Wildcats played and won more games than any team in Big Sky Conference history, set the single-season record for points and assists, saw individual awards rewritten and traveled over 19,000 miles.
Therefore, it’s only fitting that perhaps the best season in program history will be decided at the Dee Events Center on Tuesday. The Wildcats (30-6) square off against East Carolina (22-12) in the championship of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament Tuesday at 6:06 p.m.
The Pirates operate at a frenetic, highly athletic pace — an uncommon style in the BSC — which leads to the nickname ”Dunkville.” ECU ranks second in the nation in assists per game (17.4) and enjoys the 18th best point per game average (76.5).
Maurice Kemp leads the Pirates at 18.8 points and 8.1 rebounds per game. Fellow senior Miguel Paul (13.0 ppg and 7.2 apg) conducts the offense along with junior Robert Sampson (9.0 ppg and 9.2 rpg).
ECU won all four of its CIT games at home and has a 5-7 record away from Greenville this season. Weber State has won 14 straight home games and 34 of 35 in Ogden.
With the above-the-rim style the Pirates employ, WSU’s Joel Bolomboy’s status is of major concern. The freshman suffered a left shoulder separation in the win against Northern Iowa on Saturday and is listed as questionable. WSU coach Randy Rahe said “it wasn’t a total separation” and never popped out of joint.
Wildcats on the Air
CollegeInsider.com Tournament Championship
East Carolina (22-12) at Weber State (30-6)
Tuesday, 6:06 p.m.
Dee Events Center, Ogden
TV: CBS Sports Network (DirecTV – 613; Dish Network – 158; Utah Comcast – 269)
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak... 20