Weber State faces an uptempo pace from East Carolina in CIT championship
OGDEN — Weber State has accomplished quite a bit in 145 days. The Wildcats played and won more games than any team in Big Sky Conference history, set the single-season record for points and assists, saw individual awards rewritten and traveled over 19,000 miles.
Therefore, it’s only fitting that perhaps the best season in program history will be decided at the Dee Events Center on Tuesday. The Wildcats (30-6) square off against East Carolina (22-12) in the championship of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament Tuesday at 6:06 p.m.
The Pirates operate at a frenetic, highly athletic pace — an uncommon style in the BSC — which leads to the nickname ”Dunkville.” ECU ranks second in the nation in assists per game (17.4) and enjoys the 18th best point per game average (76.5).
Maurice Kemp leads the Pirates at 18.8 points and 8.1 rebounds per game. Fellow senior Miguel Paul (13.0 ppg and 7.2 apg) conducts the offense along with junior Robert Sampson (9.0 ppg and 9.2 rpg).
ECU won all four of its CIT games at home and has a 5-7 record away from Greenville this season. Weber State has won 14 straight home games and 34 of 35 in Ogden.
With the above-the-rim style the Pirates employ, WSU’s Joel Bolomboy’s status is of major concern. The freshman suffered a left shoulder separation in the win against Northern Iowa on Saturday and is listed as questionable. WSU coach Randy Rahe said “it wasn’t a total separation” and never popped out of joint.
Wildcats on the Air
CollegeInsider.com Tournament Championship
East Carolina (22-12) at Weber State (30-6)
Tuesday, 6:06 p.m.
Dee Events Center, Ogden
TV: CBS Sports Network (DirecTV – 613; Dish Network – 158; Utah Comcast – 269)
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball...
- Morning links: BYU gets a new commitment;...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- High school baseball: Walker leads Pleasant...
- High school boys soccer: Freshman lifts...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak hires...
- 4A softball: Spanish Fork overwhelms region...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 119
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 89
- Guest commentary: Want national... 66
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 45
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 39
- Morning links: BYU gets a new... 31
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 26