Jacquelyn Martin, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah is pushing to become one of six drone testing sites across the country.
The exact location of where the testing site would be located is still under wraps, as officials see that information as strategic in their application. The Governor's Office of Economic Development is spearheading the push. In all, 50 organizations from 37 states are vying for one of the six locations.
The military has long flown drones overseas to support troops, spy on enemies and fire missiles. There's a recent clamor to fly them domestically to track the health of crops, fight wildfires in remote terrain, conduct search and rescue after a disaster, and perform other chores considered too "dirty, dull or dangerous" for pilots.
If Utah gets a drone testing site, it could bring more than 1,000 new jobs to the state, according to a state-by-state study by the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International. The study looks at the economic impact of the potential project from 2015 to 2025. Initially, Utah could see about 245 new jobs, and by 2025 it could be 1,085.
In 2012, a congressional mandate was passed for the Federal Aviation Administration to bring unmanned aircraft into operational airspace, ultimately to develop technology to move the program forward.
The FAA is expected to choose the six drone test sites by year's end.
The Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International does not have a favorite, but the voice for the domestic drone industry acknowledged that states hosting test sites would benefit economically.
In a report published earlier this month, the group said states with an already solid aerospace industry are predicted to gain drone business. But other factors, including location of test sites, will also drive job creation.
Contributing: Associated Press
- Housing recovery slowest since World War II,...
- Another year, another small Social Security bump
- Fire exposes illegal Chinese factories in Italy
- Developer to build replica major league...
- Millennials may do career and home life...
- Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen says US...
- NC-based FairPoint poised for growth after...
- Dave Ramsey says: Rehabbing your house for...
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 11
- US jobless aid applications fall to... 5
- Audit cites 'inadequate oversight' in... 5
- How students are engaging textbook... 4
- Millennials may do career and home life... 3
- Another year, another small Social... 2
- HBO unleashes streaming from cable... 1
- Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen says... 1