Salt Lake City man to stand trial in stabbing outside strip club
SALT LAKE CITY — A 44-year-old Salt Lake City man has been ordered to stand trial in the stabbing death of another man at a strip club parking lot.
Isaac Anthony Gallegos is charged with murder, a first-degree felony, obstructing justice, a second-degree felony, and aggravated assault, a third-degree felony, in the fatal Nov. 11 stabbing of Dustin D. Hoffman.
Hoffman, 27, and a 29-year-old security guard were stabbed after a fight broke out at Southern Exposure, 3420 S. State.
According to charging documents filed in 3rd District Court, a fight broke out inside the club, and a witness reported seeing Gallegos with a knife. The same witness said he saw Gallegos hit Hoffman in the chest, prompting Hoffman to fall to the ground.
A second witness said he was trying to help security guards break up the fight when he saw Gallegos with the knife. He told police he saw Gallegos stab a bouncer in the side, the charges state.
The fight reportedly started inside the club but was broken up by security. It resumed, however, outside the club, police said.
Hoffman died at the scene, according to charging documents. His death was ruled a homicide caused by two stab wounds. The bouncer was hospitalized for serious injuries but survived.
The charges state that police later found a shirt matching the one Gallegos was wearing in a dumpster near his home. The shirt "had a reddish brown stain consistent with blood," according to the charges.
Following a hearing on the evidence against Gallegos, he was ordered to stand trial on all of the charges. An arraignment hearing has been set for April 15.
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Federal land managers criticized over...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- Federal land managers criticized over... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13