Salt Lake City man to stand trial in stabbing outside strip club
SALT LAKE CITY — A 44-year-old Salt Lake City man has been ordered to stand trial in the stabbing death of another man at a strip club parking lot.
Isaac Anthony Gallegos is charged with murder, a first-degree felony, obstructing justice, a second-degree felony, and aggravated assault, a third-degree felony, in the fatal Nov. 11 stabbing of Dustin D. Hoffman.
Hoffman, 27, and a 29-year-old security guard were stabbed after a fight broke out at Southern Exposure, 3420 S. State.
According to charging documents filed in 3rd District Court, a fight broke out inside the club, and a witness reported seeing Gallegos with a knife. The same witness said he saw Gallegos hit Hoffman in the chest, prompting Hoffman to fall to the ground.
A second witness said he was trying to help security guards break up the fight when he saw Gallegos with the knife. He told police he saw Gallegos stab a bouncer in the side, the charges state.
The fight reportedly started inside the club but was broken up by security. It resumed, however, outside the club, police said.
Hoffman died at the scene, according to charging documents. His death was ruled a homicide caused by two stab wounds. The bouncer was hospitalized for serious injuries but survived.
The charges state that police later found a shirt matching the one Gallegos was wearing in a dumpster near his home. The shirt "had a reddish brown stain consistent with blood," according to the charges.
Following a hearing on the evidence against Gallegos, he was ordered to stand trial on all of the charges. An arraignment hearing has been set for April 15.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 15