PROVO — An Orem man accused of stabbing his live-in girlfriend more than 40 times has pleaded guilty in her death.
Steven Gray, 44, entered guilty pleas Thursday to aggravated murder, a first-degree felony; mayhem, a second-degree felony; and abuse or desecration of a body, a third-degree felony, in the October slaying of his girlfriend, Jennifer Brackenbury. The body of the 44-year-old woman was found in the trailer home the couple shared in Orem.
According to charging documents filed in 4th District Court, Gray stabbed the woman multiple times before putting cleaning chemicals on the body to prevent odor or decay. He then allegedly tried to clean up the scene, moved the woman's body to a bathroom and attempted to seal off the body by tying off doors and windows of the home.
The man then drove Brackenbury's car to Washington, where he told police he found the woman dead in the trailer, according to booking and court documents. The woman's body was found in the trailer, and Gray eventually confessed to police in Yakima, Wash., according to a police probable cause statement.
Gray was initially facing five charges, including object rape and obstructing justice, but the charges were amended as part of the plea agreement, court records show.
Court documents indicate that Gray has agreed to spend life in prison without the possibility of parole. His sentencing hearing has been set for May 20.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23