Utah Jazz: Al Jefferson earns Western Conference player of the week honors
SALT LAKE CITY — With less than three weeks left in the 2012-13 NBA season, the Utah Jazz finally earned an award from the league.
Center Al Jefferson has been named the Western Conference player of the week after leading the Jazz to a 4-0 record from March 25-31. Big Al averaged 19.8 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.3 steals and 1.5 blocks during the pivotal week, which helped the Jazz work their way back into the eighth and final playoff spot out West.
Jefferson's highlights last week included a 25-point game in a 103-88 win over Phoenix, 22 points and four steals in a 105-95 comeback win at Portland, and 20 points, seven boards, three steals, two assists and two blocks in Saturday's 116-107 victory against Brooklyn.
Jefferson has now been named a player of the week five times in his nine-year career, including twice with the Jazz (April 23, 2012).
Big Al is averaging a Jazz-best 17.4 points and 9.1 rebounds. He's also tallying 2.1 assists, 1.16 blocks and 1.0 steal per game for his 38-36 team.
Knicks' guard J.R. Smith is the Eastern Conference player of the week. He averaged 29.8 points and 7.0 rebounds in four New York wins, and had three straight 30-point games.
Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week: Jeff Green (Boston), Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas), Roy Hibbert (Indiana), Mike Conley (Memphis), Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City), Tobias Harris (Orlando), DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento) and Tim Duncan (San Antonio).
The award was announced after this morning's post-shootaround media availability.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Utah Jazz host third pre-draft workout,...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 39
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7