BYU basketball: Cougars thrilled to be playing in NIT semifinals
When Rose first accepted the invitation to play in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic a couple of years ago, it was scheduled to be played at Madison Square Garden. Later, it was moved to the sparkling-new Barclays Center, though Rose was a little disappointed at that time that it wasn’t being held at historic MSG.
Some five months after playing in Brooklyn, his team will have the opportunity to play at Madison Square Garden.
"We have some unfinished business back there. We went up there with high hopes and we came home with two losses," Austin said of his team's November visit to New York. "The first game against Florida State, they shot lights-out against us. Against Notre Dame, that's a game we easily could have won. Coming home from that, we were all disappointed. For the chance to go back there and play some more games, it's going to be exciting. It's all about winning two games."
While Rose has been to Madison Square Garden before, he's never played or coached there. He said his team won't be able practice at the arena Monday. The first time his team will be able to take the floor at Madison Square Garden will be Tuesday afternoon, prior to the game.
"Every time you get an opportunity to do something that's new, you look forward to the opportunity and try to take advantage of it," Rose said. "I've talked to a lot of guys about playing there. It's an interesting setting."
NIT Semifinals — Tuesday
No. 3 BYU (24-11) vs. No. 2 Baylor (21-14)
Madison Square Garden, New York City
5 p.m. MDT
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 65
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 48
- Annual instate college basketball... 37