Sandy man shot by police remembered as friend to all, father of 10
SALT LAKE CITY — The family of the Sandy man who was shot and killed by police Friday night describe him as a "dearly loved" family member who was facing some personal struggles.
"He was a friend to all who knew him. He was a hardworking father who worked tirelessly to support and nurture his family," relatives of Cody Ramseyer said in a statement released Sunday.
Ramseyer, 49, was shot by police following a chase on I-15 that reached speeds in excess of 100 mph.
Davis County police received reports of Ramseyer driving recklessly in a GMC Denali on northbound I-15 late Friday. Sometimes driving at speeds that reached triple digits, he passed vehicles in emergency lanes as he barreled down the freeway, evading several police attempts to stop him, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The chase continued into Weber and Box Elder counties when the car veered into a ditch on the right shoulder of the road around 11:30 p.m. Ramseyer approached responding police "aggressively," according to the UHP. A trooper and a Pleasant View police officer deployed Tasers, but the devices did not curb his aggression. He was eventually shot by a Willard police officer, succumbing to his injuries at McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden.
Ramseyer leaves behind his wife, Kerri, and 10 children ranging in age from 6 years old to 33 years old. A statement issued by the family indicated that he may have been facing personal struggles.
"Cody was dealing with some issues," the family wrote. "But he was dealing with them as best he could."
"We will miss Cody. We love him, but we take comfort that he is in a better place," the statement said.
The family is no stranger to grief. In March of 2012, Ramseyer's granddaughter, 6-year-old Ambrosia Amalatitoda, was hit while crossing State Street in a crosswalk with her mother near 1500 South and died the next day. Neighbors said they supported the family then and will continue to support them now.
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns considering...
- Real Salt Lake proposes to pay for $18M...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 56
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 24
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 23
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- New prison site not expected to be... 16
- Former Utah Speaker of the House Becky... 15