Sandy man shot by police remembered as friend to all, father of 10
SALT LAKE CITY — The family of the Sandy man who was shot and killed by police Friday night describe him as a "dearly loved" family member who was facing some personal struggles.
"He was a friend to all who knew him. He was a hardworking father who worked tirelessly to support and nurture his family," relatives of Cody Ramseyer said in a statement released Sunday.
Ramseyer, 49, was shot by police following a chase on I-15 that reached speeds in excess of 100 mph.
Davis County police received reports of Ramseyer driving recklessly in a GMC Denali on northbound I-15 late Friday. Sometimes driving at speeds that reached triple digits, he passed vehicles in emergency lanes as he barreled down the freeway, evading several police attempts to stop him, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The chase continued into Weber and Box Elder counties when the car veered into a ditch on the right shoulder of the road around 11:30 p.m. Ramseyer approached responding police "aggressively," according to the UHP. A trooper and a Pleasant View police officer deployed Tasers, but the devices did not curb his aggression. He was eventually shot by a Willard police officer, succumbing to his injuries at McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden.
Ramseyer leaves behind his wife, Kerri, and 10 children ranging in age from 6 years old to 33 years old. A statement issued by the family indicated that he may have been facing personal struggles.
"Cody was dealing with some issues," the family wrote. "But he was dealing with them as best he could."
"We will miss Cody. We love him, but we take comfort that he is in a better place," the statement said.
The family is no stranger to grief. In March of 2012, Ramseyer's granddaughter, 6-year-old Ambrosia Amalatitoda, was hit while crossing State Street in a crosswalk with her mother near 1500 South and died the next day. Neighbors said they supported the family then and will continue to support them now.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19