'Jesus stomping' incident raises freedom of conscience and speech issues for both sides of debate
When such broad rules exist anyone can be guilty of anything, Lukianoff said, and students are usually end up being disciplined more than faculty or administrators. "When administrators have that kind of arbitrary use of power they end up substituting their own judgment of speech they like or dislike instead of following the principle that we presume that students have the right to complain about a class, for goodness sakes," he said.
Lukianoff, an atheist, said students can't be protected from being offended, but they also can't be forced to do or say something that violates their beliefs or be punished when they complain.
He said speech codes that follow Supreme Court guidelines of protected and unprotected speech are reasonable and workable on college campuses.
In response to whether the Florida State University System is looking into its campus speech codes, spokeswoman Kim Wilmath said in an email:
"Clearly, there were things the university could have done differently by its own acknowledgement. And we are relieved to hear that the student who initially complained about the exercise appears to be satisfied with FAU’s apology, according to FAU representatives and the student’s own comments in the media. We will continue to work closely with FAU as we prepare a response to Gov. Rick Scott’s concerns."
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Ask Angela: I suffered from depression,...
- Can the return of 'Cosmos' extend the scope...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Church History Symposium examines Mormonism's...
- LDS World: Receiving comfort in our afflictions
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 89
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 63
- When Satan steals your motherhood 46
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 24
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after... 15
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from... 13