About Utah: Father doing all it takes to nail the landing after snowboarding accident
No one’s making any promises. Lori and Cody have already bought the wheelchair he’ll eventually leave the hospital in. But every day Cody has more movement and there’s no telling how far he’ll come back with the proper rehab.
But here’s the thing. His insurance – good, full-coverage, paid-up insurance the Walkers fully expected would amply cover their needs – only allows for 15 days of rehab.
That expired last Thursday.
A nonprofit foundation called High Five stepped forward and picked up the tab for eight more days.
That will be used up by next Friday.
And after that? For their part, the Walkers have already made the decision that they’ll keep up the rehab as long as it takes – a year probably, maybe even more. And they’ve made the decision that someway, somehow, they will pay for it, because what other expense could possibly take precedence over doing everything possible so that a father of three can walk again and throw his kids in the air and catch them and fix their bikes?
Seeing the determination, and the urgent need, friends and family – and a few outright strangers – have rallied to the cause and are putting on a “Support Cody” fundraiser tonight at Butler Middle School. There will be food, entertainment and a silent auction, with all proceeds going to help keep Cody in rehab.
To learn more or to contribute, go to supportcody.com.
In the meantime, Cody will continue his hospital rehab, six grueling sessions a day, all day, every day. Windmilling his arms and stretching his legs until they’re functioning like before – and he’s back again on solid ground.
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Mondays. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Gay couples wed after federal judge overturns...
- Photos of unicyclist riding in Utah snowstorm...
- Former Attorney General John Swallow hid...
- 'A dream fulfilled': Lindon couple closing...
- Same-sex couples flock to S.L. County offices...
- Funeral plans set for BYU student, LDS...
- Christmas I remember best: An Afghanistan...
- Snowstorm makes travel tricky along Wasatch...
- Gay couples wed after federal judge... 181
- Rep. Jim Matheson says he won't run for... 80
- Ad campaign targets proposed Utah... 41
- Ex-Attorney General John Swallow... 33
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a... 24
- New allegation: John Swallow asked for... 24
- Former Attorney General John Swallow... 16
- Economy strong but face of Utah... 15