About Utah: Father doing all it takes to nail the landing after snowboarding accident
No one’s making any promises. Lori and Cody have already bought the wheelchair he’ll eventually leave the hospital in. But every day Cody has more movement and there’s no telling how far he’ll come back with the proper rehab.
But here’s the thing. His insurance – good, full-coverage, paid-up insurance the Walkers fully expected would amply cover their needs – only allows for 15 days of rehab.
That expired last Thursday.
A nonprofit foundation called High Five stepped forward and picked up the tab for eight more days.
That will be used up by next Friday.
And after that? For their part, the Walkers have already made the decision that they’ll keep up the rehab as long as it takes – a year probably, maybe even more. And they’ve made the decision that someway, somehow, they will pay for it, because what other expense could possibly take precedence over doing everything possible so that a father of three can walk again and throw his kids in the air and catch them and fix their bikes?
Seeing the determination, and the urgent need, friends and family – and a few outright strangers – have rallied to the cause and are putting on a “Support Cody” fundraiser tonight at Butler Middle School. There will be food, entertainment and a silent auction, with all proceeds going to help keep Cody in rehab.
To learn more or to contribute, go to supportcody.com.
In the meantime, Cody will continue his hospital rehab, six grueling sessions a day, all day, every day. Windmilling his arms and stretching his legs until they’re functioning like before – and he’s back again on solid ground.
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Mondays. EMAIL: email@example.com
- 3 officers file sex harassment lawsuit...
- Mom whose unbuckled child died was cited for...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- BYU homework system crashes, stressing out...
- President Uchtdorf to preside at Clark...
- Former dance teacher, Jazz performer...
- Health officials issue recall of cucumbers in...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 87
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 55
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 46
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- 3 officers file sex harassment lawsuit... 14
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden... 12