Mike Radice, Deseret News
LINDON — Searchers spent all day Sunday trying to locate a fisherman whose empty boat was discovered among reeds in the Lindon harbor area of Utah Lake on Saturday.
Efforts to locate Tam Huynh, 37, have thus far been unsuccessful. Searchers planned to return to the lake to resume the investigation Monday morning.
Huynh left his home in West Valley City around 8 a.m. Saturday and fishermen found his empty 18-foot boat around 5:30 p.m. in shallow water, said Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Eldon Packer. Huynh was an advid angler who frequented Utah Lake regularly.
When the family was unable to contact him, authorities were notified. Search crews looked for signs of the man throughout the day, but had been unable to locate any signs of where he might have gone in the frigid lake.
About 30 search and rescue workers and state park employees began combing Utah Lake on Saturday evening, using sonar equipment in the water, a plane and helicopter in the air and personal watercraft. Authorities recovered a cellphone from the man's boat and were investigating to see if it held any clues.
Crews were searching the area between the Lindon and American Fork boat harbors, an area approximately two to three miles long and a mile wide, Packer said. Investigators are unsure how the man may have gotten in the water, but were using every resource available to try and locate him, he added.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 15