Mike Radice, Deseret News
LINDON — Searchers spent all day Sunday trying to locate a fisherman whose empty boat was discovered among reeds in the Lindon harbor area of Utah Lake on Saturday.
Efforts to locate Tam Huynh, 37, have thus far been unsuccessful. Searchers planned to return to the lake to resume the investigation Monday morning.
Huynh left his home in West Valley City around 8 a.m. Saturday and fishermen found his empty 18-foot boat around 5:30 p.m. in shallow water, said Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Eldon Packer. Huynh was an advid angler who frequented Utah Lake regularly.
When the family was unable to contact him, authorities were notified. Search crews looked for signs of the man throughout the day, but had been unable to locate any signs of where he might have gone in the frigid lake.
About 30 search and rescue workers and state park employees began combing Utah Lake on Saturday evening, using sonar equipment in the water, a plane and helicopter in the air and personal watercraft. Authorities recovered a cellphone from the man's boat and were investigating to see if it held any clues.
Crews were searching the area between the Lindon and American Fork boat harbors, an area approximately two to three miles long and a mile wide, Packer said. Investigators are unsure how the man may have gotten in the water, but were using every resource available to try and locate him, he added.
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36