Utah Jazz: Boo D-Will? Randy Foye gives Jazz fans plenty to cheer about
Williams' other buddy, Paul Millsap, had one of his more interesting games with nine points, six rebounds and, get this, a career-high nine assists.
And the Jazz needed about all of that to outpace the Nets, who have been playing quite well thanks to Williams' stellar play of late.
The former Jazz point guard, met with loud boos about every time he touched the ball, finished with 21 points and 11 assists for the Nets (42-31).
Brooklyn even got a big 27-point effort from Brook Lopez and 16 rebounds from Reggie Evans.
But it wasn't enough to keep Williams from falling to 0-4 against Utah since being traded to the Nets just over two years ago.
Before the game, Williams told New York media that he was bugged by the boos last year when he returned for the first time after the shocking deal of 2011 when Utah sent him to New Jersey for Favors, Devin Harris, two first-round picks and $3 million.
“But it is what it is. It’s part of the game," he added. "That’s how they feel. It don’t bother me. It’d be great to go in there and get a win and shut them up a little bit.”
Maybe next year.
Unless Foye comes back to foil his plans again.
"Yeah, he did. He just got hot," Williams said. "A couple of them we let him loose in transition and once he started feeling it, he was pulling from three-four feet behind the line. He just had a heck of a game tonight."
And his reunion with Utah? "It wasn't as bad as last year. It's getting better," Williams said of the booing. "Maybe next year I'll get some boos, maybe a couple of cheers. It's good. No animosity. I had a great time in Utah. I don't have anything bad to say about the fans. I've just got a lot of love for them."
And Jazz fans? They had a lot of love for their current guard, not the old one who led them to the 2007 Western Conference Finals but who still gets blamed by some for Hall of Fame coach Jerry Sloan's stunning midseason resignation in 2011.
"They (Jazz) play really well in this building, that's the main thing," Williams said. "And Foye went nuts in the third quarter and we just never fully recovered. You get down to a Jazz team in this building by 20 (16), it's really hard to come back. I've been on the other side, so I know."
Of course, that's back when he got cheers instead of jeers from Jazz fans.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Hawaii trip had benefits for Utah Jazz aside...
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19