USU track: Aggies tab six top-six finishes Saturday at Stanford Invitational
Utah State's men's and women's track & field teams tallied six top-six finishes Saturday, the final day of the Stanford Invitational in Stanford, Calif.
Freshman Briton Page crossed the finish line in third place in the men's 800m with the fourth-fastest time in USU history, while sophomore Nic Bowens also tabbed a third-place finish with a time of 21.16 in the men's 200m. Sophomore Travis Johnson rounded out the top-six placers for the Aggie men as he finished sixth in the triple jump with a leap of 14.29m (46-10.75).
On the women's side, junior Keeley Eldredge led the way with a throw of 54.32m (178-02) in the hammer throw to place third overall. With the toss, Eldredge now ranks ninth in school history. Sophomore Melanie Heslop also had a great day in the throwing events as she placed fifth in the discus with a mark of 44.20m (145-00) and sixth in the hammer with a throw of 51.34m (168-05).
"We had a lot of great performances yesterday and today," USU head coach Gregg Gensel said. "We are working hard and training hard so that there can be even better things in the weeks to come."
Junior Kyle McKenna ran the fourth-fastest time in the men's 10,000m Friday (29:37.29), which was good enough to finish in 10th place on the day. Freshman Tylee Newman's time of 4:26.51 on Friday ranks her at No. 5 in the Aggie history books.
Action continues for Utah State track & field as it travels to Boise, Idaho, for the All-Idaho Cup on Friday and Saturday, April 5-6. USU will also host the annual Mark Faldmo Invitational on Friday and Saturday, April 19-20. Information for the Aggies lone home meet of the year can be found on USU's website.
Utah State results for Stanford Invitational — results after 9 p.m. Friday, March 29, included and marked with ^
4x100m — 12. Utah State 'A', 49.18
Discus — 5. Melanie Heslop, 44.20m (145-00)
800m (Section A) — 3. Briton Page, 1:49.64
800m (Section B) — 12. Tyler Killpack, 1:52.81
4x100m — 11. Utah State 'A', 42.22
Pole Vault — 7. Sam Nelson, 4.55m (14-11.00)
Hammer — Bryce Hall, Foul
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Coach Steve Kerr: Warriors on brink but ready...
- San Jose Sharks head to 1st Cup final after...
- LeBron, Love power Cavaliers to 116-78 romp...
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 69
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 35
- Pac-12 champs: Utah wins baseball title... 26
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 19