USU softball: Aggies come up short in New Mexico State series finale on Saturday
Utah State softball closed out its first home Western Athletic Conference series with a 3-0 loss to New Mexico State on Saturday at LaRee and LeGrand Johnson Softball Field.
USU falls to 0-6 in WAC games and is now 5-28 overall this season, while the crimson Aggies improve to 5-1 in WAC play and 23-13 overall.
NM State used two scoring innings to top USU, scoring a single run in the top of the third frame and plating two more runs in the top of the fifth to claim a 3-0 advantage that would prove to be insurmountable for the home team.
The Aggies put together six hits in Saturday's game but could not convert the hits into runs, while New Mexico State was able to produce 10 hits against the Utah State pitchers.
Sophomore outfielder Jolene Koons and freshman pitcher Noelle Johnson both went two-for-three from the plate, producing four of the team's six hits. Also tallying hits for the home team were sophomore outfielder Hailey Froton and sophomore infielder Nicole Arata.
Johnson worked 4.1 innings in Saturday's game, striking out three and allowing three earned runs to score. She was tagged with her 10th loss of the season and has a 2-10 record on the year.
Utah State will next take the field in Pocatello, Idaho, as it travels north to face border foe Idaho State on Wednesday, April 3. It will be the third meeting between the two teams this season. Action against the Bengals is set to begin at 4 p.m. MT.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37