BYU softball: Houston completes sweep of BYU in 9-3, 3-2 defeats
Howell recorded the loss for the Cougars to fall to 5-12 on the season. JC Clayton had a solid game from the plate, hitting 3-for-4 and scoring two runs. Third baseman Ashlee Brawley Robinson had a strong defensive effort, finishing the game with six assists.
Houston got on the board first during game two of the doubleheader. With runners on the corners, Houston baited catcher Anna Hudson into throwing to second to get the runner and in turn brought in the Scarlet Cougars' first run from third base.
BYU held Houston scoreless during the second and third innings, fueled by strong defense and pitching from Duckworth. In the bottom of the third, Clayton hit a hard single near second base and beat out the throw to reach first safely. Millett advanced Clayton to second laying down a sacrifice bunt. With two outs, Shamo hit a single over the head of third baseman to drive in Clayton and tie the game at one apiece through three.
Houston battled back, retaking the lead in the top of the fourth. With a runner on second base, first baseman Jaime Edwards singled to right field, driving in a run. Duckworth got out of the inning with a timely strikeout. The advantage remained in favor of Houston 2-1 after four innings of play.
Howell substituted in relief of Duckworth in the top of the fifth inning, getting out of the inning with no damage done. BYU tied the score in the bottom of the fifth at two apiece when Manuma drove home Clayton from third with a hard single between the third baseman and shortstop.
In the top of the sixth, Houston regained the lead at 3-2. BYU tried to answer but instead left Duckworth stranded at third in the bottom of the sixth.
In the top of the seventh, BYU got out of a jam with Houston leaving two runners in scoring position. Going into the bottom of the seventh trailing by one, Millett reached base on a fielding error with one out. Bravo singled up the middle, and Shamo walked with two outs to load the bases. Duckworth then hit a pop fly to right field to finish the game and allow Houston to leave with the three-game sweep.
The Cougars return to action and conference play at Utah Valley University on April 5 with a doubleheader beginning at 2 p.m. MDT.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17