PROVO, Utah – In the its last home match of the season, the No. 40 BYU men’s tennis team defeated Saint Mary’s 6-1 at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts on Saturday.
The win moved the Cougars (15-4, 4-0 West Coast Conference) past the Gaels (8-9, 3-1 WCC) for first place in league play.
BYU also finished with a perfect 10-0 record at home this season, with four of those wins coming over ranked teams.
“It’s a great accomplishment to have the kind of competition we’ve had at our home this year,” BYU coach Brad Pearce said. “To finish 10-0 at home this year is a tribute to these guys. It shows not only the quality of their play but also their emotional and mental toughness.”
Teammates Keaton Cullimore and John Pearce secured the doubles point with an 8-6 victory over Thomas Hunt and Seif El Sherbini. On court 3, Spencer Smith and Travis Fillmore edged Samuel Bloore and Tuomas Manner 8-7(4).
In singles play, John Pearce finished first with a decisive 6-1, 6-1 victory over Bloore. Cullimore claimed the third BYU point as he topped El Sherbini 6-3, 6-1.
Freshman Andrey Goryachkov finalized the Cougar victory with his own win at the No. 6 singles position against Thomas Hunt 6-0, 6-3.
Sargeant and Smith followed suit by defeating their opponents in straight sets.
“I was so happy for Spencer [Smith], as this was his last home match of his career,” coach Pearce said. “I was so happy to see him win doubles and singles and do it in a really positive and convincing way. He played really good tennis. Everybody should have that kind of performance for their last career match at home.”
BYU faces Boise State on the road next Saturday morning at 9:30 MDT. The match was recently selected as a USTA College Matchday.
1. Kawka/Sargeant (BYU) def. Kiuru/Norstrom (SMC) 8-4
2. Fillmore/Smith (BYU) def. Bloore/Manner (SMC) 8-7(4)
3. Cullimore/Pearce (BYU) def. Hunt/El Sherbini (SMC) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Jesse Kiuru (SMC) def. #37 Patrick Kawka (BYU) 7-6(4), 3-6, 1-0(9)
2. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Joakim Norstrom (SMC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Tuomas Manner (SMC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Seif El Sherbini (SMC) 6-3, 6-1
5. John Pearce (BYU) def. Samuel Bloore (SMC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) def. Thomas Hunt (SMC) 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 4, 6, 2, 3, 1
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Mike Sorensen: 5 reasons to be excited (or...
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on 'red-alert'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Things won't get any easier for... 64
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 50
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Utah football pre-game day roundup:... 19