Utah Jazz: New jerseys, new resolve, new spot in playoff standings for victorious Jazz
Williams also made a nice assist on a go-ahead-for-good three-point play by Randy Foye, who began the fast break with a steal on the other end. Foye made a layup and free throw to give the Jazz, who went scoreless for four minutes earlier in the fourth, a 93-92 lead with 2:57 remaining.
Williams then hit consecutive inside baskets followed by four Millsap points to put the Jazz safely ahead 101-92 with 41.9 seconds remaining. That was just three minutes after ex-Jazz guard Wesley Matthews' bucket gave Portland a 92-86 lead at the 3:49 mark.
"He got it going," Jefferson said.
"Great for him," Corbin said. "I thought he did a great job in the second half."
On both sides, the coach added.
Not only did Williams capitalize on Portland's pick-and-roll defense, but he also pushed Lillard away from his preferred spots and helped cause the Blazers to be off of their offensive game.
Jefferson also had a whale of a game, scoring 16 of his 22 points in the first half to help keep the Blazers' early lead down to 10.
Portland went up by 14 to begin the third quarter against Utah's slightly new lineup, but the Jazz used a 24-8 surge to take a brief lead before the helter-skelter fourth quarter.
That big finish had a lasting effect on the locker room mood.
For a rare change, smiles, laughter and jokes replaced somberness and dour demeanors in the visitors' changing place temporarily occupied by Utah.
"Whether we're at home or at the park, we've got to win from here on out. That's the way we're looking at it," Jefferson said. "It's time if we want to make the playoffs, that's what we've got to do."
The Jazz return home to take on Deron Williams and the Brooklyn Nets tonight at EnergySolutions Arena.
For the first time in weeks, they're in control of their playoff destiny, too.
They win out, and they're in.
No matter what the Lakers do.
"We're back in it," Corbin said. "We just talked about just staying in the fight."
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- Brad Rock: Enes Kanter doesn't deserve the abuse
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive meltdown...
- High school basketball: Lone Peak, Murray,...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 126
- Utah's Devontae Booker reportedly... 72
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 45
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 37
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 36
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35