Utah Jazz: New jerseys, new resolve, new spot in playoff standings for victorious Jazz
Williams also made a nice assist on a go-ahead-for-good three-point play by Randy Foye, who began the fast break with a steal on the other end. Foye made a layup and free throw to give the Jazz, who went scoreless for four minutes earlier in the fourth, a 93-92 lead with 2:57 remaining.
Williams then hit consecutive inside baskets followed by four Millsap points to put the Jazz safely ahead 101-92 with 41.9 seconds remaining. That was just three minutes after ex-Jazz guard Wesley Matthews' bucket gave Portland a 92-86 lead at the 3:49 mark.
"He got it going," Jefferson said.
"Great for him," Corbin said. "I thought he did a great job in the second half."
On both sides, the coach added.
Not only did Williams capitalize on Portland's pick-and-roll defense, but he also pushed Lillard away from his preferred spots and helped cause the Blazers to be off of their offensive game.
Jefferson also had a whale of a game, scoring 16 of his 22 points in the first half to help keep the Blazers' early lead down to 10.
Portland went up by 14 to begin the third quarter against Utah's slightly new lineup, but the Jazz used a 24-8 surge to take a brief lead before the helter-skelter fourth quarter.
That big finish had a lasting effect on the locker room mood.
For a rare change, smiles, laughter and jokes replaced somberness and dour demeanors in the visitors' changing place temporarily occupied by Utah.
"Whether we're at home or at the park, we've got to win from here on out. That's the way we're looking at it," Jefferson said. "It's time if we want to make the playoffs, that's what we've got to do."
The Jazz return home to take on Deron Williams and the Brooklyn Nets tonight at EnergySolutions Arena.
For the first time in weeks, they're in control of their playoff destiny, too.
They win out, and they're in.
No matter what the Lakers do.
"We're back in it," Corbin said. "We just talked about just staying in the fight."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 101
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 82
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 70
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 51
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah Utes basketball: AD Chris Hill... 37