OREM, Utah - The Utah Valley University men's and women's track teams posted seven first-place finishes Friday in the 3rd Annual UVU Collegiate at the Hal Wing Track & Field.
In addition, the Wolverines added six second-place finishes against competitors from Southern Utah, BYU, Utah, Weber State, Utah State, Westminster College, Boise State, Idaho State and Colorado-Mesa.
UVU juniors Brooke Hodson-Davies (11:01.75) and Jessica Wilding (11:48.36) placed first and second, respectively, in the women's steeplechase, while Trac Norris (9:26.95), competing unattached, Chris Dorton (9:28.15) and Chris Brower (9:37.41), also competing unattached, took the top three places in the men's steeplechase.
Joshua McCabe (15:21.60) led a quartet of UVU athletes to finish in the top four of the men's 5,000 meters. Seth Gutzwiller (15:50.21) and Brower (16:05.28), both competing unattached, placed second and fourth, respectively, while freshman Josh Monson (16:18.64) was fifth.
In other first-place finishes, UVU's Megan Burr (14.05) won the 100 hurdles; the men's 4x100 team (40.79); the women's 4x400 team (3:53.45); freshman Mykah Heaton (18-03) won the women's long jump, and senior McKell Camp-Nielson won the women's javelin (155-11.75).
In other notable performances: Angela Blackham (5th, women's 1,500 meters, 4:51.20 and 3rd, 5,000 meters, 18:16.63); Brandon Edmondson (4th, 1,500 meters, 4:00.67); Natalie Young-Baker (5th, women's 100 meters, 12.19 and 2nd, women's 200 meters, 25.29); Jordan Peterson (4th, men's 100 meters, 10.79); Blake Adams (5th, 400 meters, 49.14); Cole Eisenhour (4th, 400 hurdles, 56.49); Nicholas Taylor (2nd, men's 200 meters, 21.47); Darian Sharp (4th, women's 5,000 meters, 18:34.93); Ali Shields (5th, women's triple jump, 34-06.50); men's 4x400 team (4th, 3:19.56); Maryn Pincock (2nd, women's shot put 47-05.75 and 3rd, women's discus, 145-05), and Mark Jones (3rd, men's javelin, 181-01.25).
The Wolverines will have a pair of meets next week beginning with the Mesa Classic on Friday, April 5, in Mesa, Ariz., and the Sun Angel in Tempe, Ariz., on April 6.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26