BYU football: BYU to stage Blue and White game Saturday
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU's new-look offense will be on display during Saturday's Blue and White game at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
The gates will open at 10 a.m. Warm-up drills begin at 11 a.m., with the game scheduled to start at approximately 11:20 a.m.
The spring game, which will be broadcast by KSL Radio, is free to the public.
As for the format for the game, coach Bronco Mendenhall said the first-team offense and second-team defense will face the first-team defense and second-team offense.
Because this will be a "live" game with tackling, sophomore quarterback Taysom Hill, as well as several key starters, are not expected to participate.
While Hill has not been named the starter, Mendenhall has said that he has stood out during spring drills. Meanwhile, sophomore Ammon Olsen has also been impressive, the coach said.
Mendenhall mentioned a number of reasons for staging a spring game rather than a scrimmage.
"New systems, new schemes, some more inexperience," Mendenhall said earlier this week. "To see what the scheme looks like without coaching, to see players finish play in regards to catching balls and breaking tackles and then to see if the team is tackling well."
Because his team is relatively healthy, Mendenhall will be able to hold a game and evaluate younger talent.
"The intent will be to build and to get enough players experience and playing time on Saturday,” Mendenhall said. "We’re more healthy than we’ve been most springs and have more numbers. We want to see more of what our younger guys can do in a live situation."
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18