BYU football: BYU to stage Blue and White game Saturday
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU's new-look offense will be on display during Saturday's Blue and White game at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
The gates will open at 10 a.m. Warm-up drills begin at 11 a.m., with the game scheduled to start at approximately 11:20 a.m.
The spring game, which will be broadcast by KSL Radio, is free to the public.
As for the format for the game, coach Bronco Mendenhall said the first-team offense and second-team defense will face the first-team defense and second-team offense.
Because this will be a "live" game with tackling, sophomore quarterback Taysom Hill, as well as several key starters, are not expected to participate.
While Hill has not been named the starter, Mendenhall has said that he has stood out during spring drills. Meanwhile, sophomore Ammon Olsen has also been impressive, the coach said.
Mendenhall mentioned a number of reasons for staging a spring game rather than a scrimmage.
"New systems, new schemes, some more inexperience," Mendenhall said earlier this week. "To see what the scheme looks like without coaching, to see players finish play in regards to catching balls and breaking tackles and then to see if the team is tackling well."
Because his team is relatively healthy, Mendenhall will be able to hold a game and evaluate younger talent.
"The intent will be to build and to get enough players experience and playing time on Saturday,” Mendenhall said. "We’re more healthy than we’ve been most springs and have more numbers. We want to see more of what our younger guys can do in a live situation."
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 36
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 27