BYU football: BYU to stage Blue and White game Saturday
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU's new-look offense will be on display during Saturday's Blue and White game at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
The gates will open at 10 a.m. Warm-up drills begin at 11 a.m., with the game scheduled to start at approximately 11:20 a.m.
The spring game, which will be broadcast by KSL Radio, is free to the public.
As for the format for the game, coach Bronco Mendenhall said the first-team offense and second-team defense will face the first-team defense and second-team offense.
Because this will be a "live" game with tackling, sophomore quarterback Taysom Hill, as well as several key starters, are not expected to participate.
While Hill has not been named the starter, Mendenhall has said that he has stood out during spring drills. Meanwhile, sophomore Ammon Olsen has also been impressive, the coach said.
Mendenhall mentioned a number of reasons for staging a spring game rather than a scrimmage.
"New systems, new schemes, some more inexperience," Mendenhall said earlier this week. "To see what the scheme looks like without coaching, to see players finish play in regards to catching balls and breaking tackles and then to see if the team is tackling well."
Because his team is relatively healthy, Mendenhall will be able to hold a game and evaluate younger talent.
"The intent will be to build and to get enough players experience and playing time on Saturday,” Mendenhall said. "We’re more healthy than we’ve been most springs and have more numbers. We want to see more of what our younger guys can do in a live situation."
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33