Jae C. Hong, AP
Emergency unemployment compensation will be reduced due to the federal sequestration, according to press release from the State Department of Workforce Services.
For those in Utah, the 12.8 percent cut will take effect April 28. This means those trying to claim the EUC will be affected on or after April 28. The cuts are federal and don’t include state unemployment benefits.
Currently, there are about 4,000 unemployed workers who will see their benefits cut. Those who are on EUC currently are paid up to 14 weeks of federal benefits in addition to the state’s 26 weeks of benefits.
The federal program of EUC is estimated to end completely by Dec. 28, 2013.
All states have to start reducing the benefits on or after March 31. Those who are having their benefits cut will receive a notice two weeks before the reductions start.
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 9
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Optimism on the rise for job seekers 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 1