Major League Baseball visiting Salt Lake City this Saturday
Amicone added that it shows the commitment the organization and Miller family has made to bringing such high-profile events to town. Others include the 2011 Triple-A All-Star Game, races out at the Miller Motorsports Park and concerts and special events at EnergySolutions Arena.
“We provide things in the community that make it a fun place to live,” Amicone said.
Considering the support shown for the Rockies-Mariners game, future Major League Baseball exhibition games could very well be in the mix down the road.
“We’re looking at the future. We’re hoping it's something we can do again in the future,” said Amicone, who explained that doing so on an annual basis may be difficult because of the short window of opportunity (between the end of spring training and the opening of the regular season) and the limited number of teams available each year.
Even so, Amicone said he would not be surprised to see it back in the not-so-distant future.
“There’s plenty of support and I’m sure we’ll see a game again soon,” he noted.
Although the Bees are the top affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, chances are slim that their parent club will ever be able to be one of the participants. The Angels historically play a Freeway Series with the Los Angeles Dodgers to close out spring training.
“I don’t see that history ever changing,” Amicone said. “I would love to have the Angels play here, but at that point it’s an economic situation and it just doesn’t make sense (for them).”
* * * * *
Ticket holders invited to watch batting practice
SALT LAKE CITY — Fans attending Saturday’s exhibition game between the Colorado Rockies and Seattle Mariners at Spring Mobile Ballpark are invited to watch batting practices. The Mariners will take the field at 10:30 a.m., while the Rockies will follow at 11:30 a.m.
Gates open at 10 a.m., and the game is scheduled for 1:05 p.m.
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 60
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 55
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 54
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 38
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 15