Juan Diego community grieving death of senior lacrosse captain Matt Jungemann
DRAPER — The tightknit Juan Diego community is shaken and left grieving following another fatal loss for the second time in eight months.
Matt Jungemann, the senior captain on the Soaring Eagle lacrosse team, passed away Sunday at the age of 18.
“A great kid. A wonderful student — very popular,” Juan Diego athletic director Chris Long said. “It’s just one of those things (where) you can’t explain what happened. It’s really hard.”
More than 1,400 supporters honored Jungemann’s memory during a prayer service Thursday conducted at Juan Diego High School.
“We had a prayer service today and his parents are OK with how things went today,” Long said. “It’s just really hard at this point.”
Jungemann was set to be recognized with Adrenaline All-American honors as one of premier high school senior players in the Western region this June. In February he was listed as one of the top 18 players to watch in ESPN’s 2012 high school region lacrosse preview.
The family has yet to disclose the cause of death.
“We don’t know,” said Juan Diego head football coach John Colosimo, who coached Jungemann for two years before he focused on lacrosse. “The family hasn’t let us know what’s going on, so we’re still kind of waiting on finding out what exactly happened. We’re just dealing with the grief.”
The tragedy is the second in eight months. Adam Colosimo succumbed to complications from an electrical shock in July 2012. Juan Diego had never experienced a death of a currently enrolled student since opening its doors in 1999 until Colosimo’s passing.
“We’re dealing with another death in the family,” said Adam's uncle, football coach John Colosimo. “I understand the grief — we’ve had a couple tragedies at our school.”
Juan Diego issued a statement via Facebook on Jungemann's passing and information regarding funeral services.
"Funeral Service - Saturday, March 30, 1:30pm at Grace Lutheran Church, 1815 E 9800 S. (next to Blessed Sac. School). There will be no family visiting hours. A small reception will follow back at the church after interment.
"With God's grace, Easter will bring light and the presence of Jesus to our hearts. Please keep the Jungemanns and our Juan Diego community in your prayers." A donation has been set up under Matt Jungemann’s name at Wells Fargo and First America Credit Union.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @tphibbsami
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- Bear River comes through late to secure a 2-1...
- 3A baseball: Pine View plan comes together...
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball season at...
- Salem Hills and Spanish Fork survive during...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 5
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school baseball: Wasatch skipper... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school softball: 5A/4A state... 0