USU track: Hawkins places 15th at Texas Relays to open 2013 outdoor season
Utah State track & field redshirt sophomore Chari Hawkins tallied 5,085 points to place 15th in the women's heptathlon at the 86th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday and Thursday, March 27-28.
The Texas Relays features some of the toughest competition in the nation as it was labeled the Division I National Meet of the Week by the U.S. Track & Field And Cross Country Coaches Association for the week of March 25-31.
Hawkins tied her personal-best height of 1.72m (5-07.75) to finish tied for fourth place in the high jump. This is the first competition for Hawkins since the 2012 indoor season, as she redshirted the 2012 outdoor season and the 2013 indoor season.
"Chari did a great job to start the season off right against some really tough national competition," USU veteran head coach Gregg Gensel said. "We also have a lot of athletes who will get a chance to start the outdoor season this weekend at UVU and at Stanford."
The Aggies will have athletes continuing action this weekend as they participate in the UVU Collegiate Invitational in Orem, Utah, on Friday March 29, while others will travel to Stanford, Calif., for the Standford Invitational on Friday and Saturday, March 29-30.
Live results for the Stanford Invitational will be available for fans to view by clicking on the 'Live Results' link on the track & field page.
UTAH STATE RESULTS
Heptathlon - 15. Chari Hawkins, 5,085 points
Hept.100m Hurdles - 10. Chari Hawkins, 14.15
Hept. 200m - 14. Chari Hawkins, 25.46
Hept. 800m - 14. Chari Hawkins, 2:29.00
Hept. High Jump - T-4. Chari Hawkins, 1.72m (5-07.75)
Hept. Long Jump - 15. Chari Hawkins, 5.39m (17-08.25)
Hept. Shot Put - 19. Chari Hawkins, 9.48m (31-01.25)
Hept. Javelin - 10. Chari Hawkins, 33.13m (108-08)
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27