Theater review: C.S. Lewis’ ‘Screwtape Letters’ is devilish fun
“The Screwtape Letters,” Fellowship for the Performing Arts, Kingsbury Hall, March 23.
Based on the C.S. Lewis book of the same name, the Fellowship for the Performing Arts’ stage adaptation of “The Screwtape Letters” conjured theatrical magic during its one-day stay in Salt Lake City.
For 90 minutes, only two characters inhabited the stage: the wily devil Screwtape (Brent Harris) and his groveling assistant, Toadpipe (Beckley Andrews). There was no intermission, and much of the dialogue came straight from the book an Irish-born Lewis wrote in 1942.
Despite the confluence of challenging circumstances that easily could’ve proved disastrous in lesser hands, this adaptation of “Screwtape Letters” felt fresh, urgent and three-dimensional. Much of that momentum was attributable to Harris, whose energy level never wavered even as the emotional stability of Screwtape began to fluctuate.
Creative lighting and staging helped ameliorate the fact that only two characters were on the stage throughout — and of those two, only Screwtape was capable of speaking coherent lines.
Throughout April, the touring show of “The Screwtape Letters” will visit Lincoln, Neb.; Modesto, Calif.; Los Angeles; and Colorado Springs, Colo.
This article refers to the 4 p.m. performance of “The Screwtape Letters” on March 23.
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- Avoid giving your baby this food that may...
- UTubers: Imagine Dragons releases new song,...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target over...
- The effects of spanking children may surprise...
- UTubers: Kalani Sitake, Al Fox Carraway...
- Dave Ramsey says: When to buy a better car
- Erin Stewart: How I degrade myself as a mom...
- Utah woman is a finalist on Hallmark...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 86
- The benefits some families see from... 16
- Erin Stewart: How I degrade myself as a... 15
- The effects of spanking children may... 13
- Suicide rates spike in adolescent... 10
- ... 7
- Families need to know of dying decision... 4
- How social media can make us question... 3