SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has named Rollin E. Cook as the new executive director of the Department of Corrections.
Cook is a retired chief deputy from the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office and a national trainer on administrative best practices for jail administrators.
With an extensive background in managing inmate populations and an understanding of local government and the county jail system, Cook is well-prepared to take the Department of Corrections to the next level, Herbert said Thursday.
“He brings both the outsider’s fresh perspective and the insider’s firm commitment to optimize taxpayer dollars,” the governor said.
With more than 2,200 employees, the Utah Department of Corrections oversees the Utah State Prison and Adult Probation & Parole functions.
“As a career corrections professional, I am fully aware of the complex challenges we face and humbly look forward to the opportunity to work with all members of our criminal justice and human services team,” Cook said in a prepared statement. “I want to thank the governor for this opportunity to accomplish great things in all areas of corrections.”
Cook began his career in law enforcement in 1989 with the sheriff’s office. He retired in 2012.
Following retirement, he became a consultant and trainer for the National Institute of Corrections. In this role, he taught the sheriffs and their personnel procedures for opening and operating new correctional facilities.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 43
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29