SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has named Rollin E. Cook as the new executive director of the Department of Corrections.
Cook is a retired chief deputy from the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office and a national trainer on administrative best practices for jail administrators.
With an extensive background in managing inmate populations and an understanding of local government and the county jail system, Cook is well-prepared to take the Department of Corrections to the next level, Herbert said Thursday.
“He brings both the outsider’s fresh perspective and the insider’s firm commitment to optimize taxpayer dollars,” the governor said.
With more than 2,200 employees, the Utah Department of Corrections oversees the Utah State Prison and Adult Probation & Parole functions.
“As a career corrections professional, I am fully aware of the complex challenges we face and humbly look forward to the opportunity to work with all members of our criminal justice and human services team,” Cook said in a prepared statement. “I want to thank the governor for this opportunity to accomplish great things in all areas of corrections.”
Cook began his career in law enforcement in 1989 with the sheriff’s office. He retired in 2012.
Following retirement, he became a consultant and trainer for the National Institute of Corrections. In this role, he taught the sheriffs and their personnel procedures for opening and operating new correctional facilities.
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 27
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 15
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 14