SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has named Rollin E. Cook as the new executive director of the Department of Corrections.
Cook is a retired chief deputy from the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office and a national trainer on administrative best practices for jail administrators.
With an extensive background in managing inmate populations and an understanding of local government and the county jail system, Cook is well-prepared to take the Department of Corrections to the next level, Herbert said Thursday.
“He brings both the outsider’s fresh perspective and the insider’s firm commitment to optimize taxpayer dollars,” the governor said.
With more than 2,200 employees, the Utah Department of Corrections oversees the Utah State Prison and Adult Probation & Parole functions.
“As a career corrections professional, I am fully aware of the complex challenges we face and humbly look forward to the opportunity to work with all members of our criminal justice and human services team,” Cook said in a prepared statement. “I want to thank the governor for this opportunity to accomplish great things in all areas of corrections.”
Cook began his career in law enforcement in 1989 with the sheriff’s office. He retired in 2012.
Following retirement, he became a consultant and trainer for the National Institute of Corrections. In this role, he taught the sheriffs and their personnel procedures for opening and operating new correctional facilities.
- Prison relocation process slows down
- Strack family: Search warrants begin 'to...
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated in...
- New poll shows Love, Owens race tightens;...
- Crash on U.S. 40 west of Vernal injures 3,...
- Clearfield pediatrician arrested in child...
- Search warrants: Poisoning suspected in...
- Utah families, researchers play role in...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 59
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 54
- New poll shows Love, Owens race... 46
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 30
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 27
- Prison relocation process slows down 22
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21